SRT Hellcat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DO NOT USE until you have it double checked 2 members 2 bad blowers. And 3 plates
Both check by machinist in two different states not knowing about About each other

the holes for the bearings the press fit is to tight and not round.

139C3C25-C950-4AA0-80CD-827111E40183.png

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I can agree on this, accuracy of bearing bores should be verified before trying to install. Correct bore dimension should be 1.5740” + .0003” max -.0000”, press fit should NOT exceed .001”. Your best bet in lieu of a highly accurate bore gauge is a snap gauge and a micrometer and make the bore match the OEM plate removed which is 1.5740”.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
946 Posts
I can agree on this, accuracy of bearing bores should be verified before trying to install. Correct bore dimension should be 1.5740” + .0003” max -.0000”, press fit should NOT exceed .001”. Your best bet in lieu of a highly accurate bore gauge is a snap gauge and a micrometer and make the bore match the OEM plate removed which is 1.5740”.
Boy I’m glad I read this , I was thinking about the bearing plate and the snout port for a 105mm throttle body. I’m pretty sure these are being done on a CNC machine. My dad was a machinist, son and grandson is going thru the apprenticeship program . How the hell can these be so far off? Bad writing of the program?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
129 Posts
This is concerning. I have purchased one and it is scheduled to be installed next month. Has anyone installed this part and NOT had an issue with it?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
677 Posts
This is the finishing touch to my experience with FAS...… Does Niko know about this? Is he offering to fix them or send new ones?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
115 Posts
DO NOT USE until you have it double checked 2 members 2 bad blowers. And 3 plates
Both check by machinist in two different states not knowing about About each other

the holes for the bearings the press fit is to tight and not round.

View attachment 552430
Bad blowers? Meaning they failed? What exactly happened to them?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
One of I know personally locked up 15 minutes after start up, ruined the blower. Rotor pushed back into the rear of the housing because it could not expand forward into the plate as design dictates because the bearing bore was too tight.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad blowers? Meaning they failed? What exactly happened to them?
Mine because of the press fit being to tight it ate my new ceramic bearings, I heard the bearings going bad and too my blower apart.
One member the press fit caused the rotors to push against the back of the housing and trashed the rotors and housing.
And that’s when we started to check our plates. He bought a second plate and it was as bad if not worse than the first two.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
This is concerning. I have purchased one and it is scheduled to be installed next month. Has anyone installed this part and NOT had an issue with it?
I have one running on my spare blower, had to rework the bores in the plate to proper dimension and it’s working GREAT so far. Solid 50 hp gain but cost me a perfect blower first time around.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2 Posts
With any mass produced anything there can be core shift or chatter in the machine,So i get that there are a couple members that have had issues,im not downplaying this at all but offering this as a thought there are several billet plates out there running with no issues,again not downplaying anything but only saying,My experience with Nico and the F.A.S team is this ive had no issues,the customer service was second to none,and I truly believe that if Nico is aware of anything wrong he wont keep shipping parts.This is just my experience not taking anything away from you fellas with plate issues only that I felt it was appropriate to let others know Im a happy customer.Again not looking to start anything only offering my experience.#slokat707

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Agree, the plates sweet, but as with allot of just out new designs it has a hick up. FAS is looking into it currently and hopefully will make good with anyone who has had issues with these first runs of the plate, unfortunately I’m one of those characters. But elated with the gain after the pain, before plate and after plate dyno data on my cat, solid 50 HP gain
1784356C-D85D-4EA4-8482-D6BC10F36B6D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,988 Posts
Maybe Nico will come back on and answer questions about what happened and what they are going to do about the problem.

Linda

Hi, I’m Nico, I own F.A.S. Motorsports. Our quality is the highest in the industry for porting etc... we have the smoothest finish possible on our snouts with no rough lines like other companies that cause turbulence.

Our prices are as follows,

•Snout Porting (includes rebuild with upgraded High speed bearings as standard) $625

•Billet Bearing Plate $1000

•$200 to remove/install billet bearing plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Well with 20/20 hindsight, I will add this comment, which, before this thread, never even crossed my mind:
Superimpose the stocker over the new part to see ANY PROBLEMS THAT CAN BE ASCERTAINED UPON VISUAL INSPECTION.

And, don't assume anything.

What I didn't add, because it went without saying, in my mind, is that whatever one could not find visually, one would have to use micrometers to measure.

And, having to DO that is somewhat of a let-down. We, especially me, just assumed that these parts were just hunky-dory, and, in fact we tend to take that for granted pretty well universally.

It just occurred to me. If I were to buy some aftermarket wheels, it would probably be a good idea to pay careful attention to the fitment when putting it on the hub to see if there was more play or any lack of concentricity in the bolt circle.

Also not added, in case anyone else wants to know: It's a surprise that something as destructive as this was not eliminated by testing beforehand, and it is a big negative to actually see this sort of thing even occur.
I'm guessing that wherever the plates are made in Harbin or Wuhan or wherever has a looser interpretation of the importance of exactly matching tolerances.

It's one thing to have a prototype. It's quite another to have production pieces that are up to snuff, evidently.

I believe they will fix the problem. I hope they will.

Gee whiz.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I want to see how this goes.

If these are, in fact, factual allegations, then it seems that FAS has some remedial cash outlay to perform. (I am not implying anything one way or another about either side. I am simply not there and it was not my blower, so I can't pretend to be able to make any judgments about the facts of the situation.)

I marvel at how close the tolerances have to be.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Agree, the plates sweet, but as with allot of just out new designs it has a hick up. FAS is looking into it currently and hopefully will make good with anyone who has had issues with these first runs of the plate, unfortunately I’m one of those characters. But elated with the gain after the pain, before plate and after plate dyno data on my cat, solid 50 HP gain View attachment 552439
I wonder what the gains would be on an otherwise stock Heavencat.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
677 Posts
Mine is about to undergo surgery tonight, plain as day it is all fluted....

I love the guy with 1 post on here defending fas. Lmao

Bottom line;
When you spend a $1000 on a billet bearing plate, it should not have issues that require modifications. That is a job for FAS quality control before it ships. They are the machine shop, not me. If I wasn't in so deep on this (ported snout, billet bearing plate, 105mm throttle body, tuning) I would mail it back and ask for a refund at this point. Niko, if your reading this, feel free to call me and let's talk. Not sure if you want us to send these back or what.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 344 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.