SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so I have been going around in circles with FCA since Mid February and still do not have things completely resolved and have gotten to the point of wishing I had never bought my Redeye Charger (love the car just as much or more than my previous two but this warranty issue has me pissed off)

Scenario/Background -
PART I
- I bought the car from Koons in VA and proceeded to drive home to Florida. Near Sumter SC with 601 miles on the car the supercharger belt disintegrates leaving me and the wife stranded on a Sunday. No dealers open so the car is towed to a Firestone store to be stored until Monday when it is towed to a dealer. Then it takes until Tuesday about 4:00pm to get a belt and be back on the road home.

So I am out two nights hotel, meals, and some misc. expenses - which I assumed FCA would cover BUT they are refusing to pay for anything except the hotel bill - I just do not see why I would pay for anything with the car being brand new and I am 4-5 hours from home stuck in a hotel for two nights and three days.

Am I a being unreasonable??

PART II - when the car was towed the towing company scrapped the underside edge of the spoiler and the edge of the right front wheel. Simple enough I (and the dealer in SC agreed) when I get home I go by my local dealer and the finish the repairs as part of the warranty.

NO - this has now become a process of me asking for approval from FCA for an insurance claim - I had to go get an estimate for the repairs, fill out a loss/claim form, and submit pictures to FCA and now I am waiting to see "IF" they approve the repair.

I am at a loss as to how this is not consider part of the original repair - I could have refused the car in SC as not being "repaired" but I needed to get home so since it was running fine we took it as is - assuming that FCA would finish the repair locally.

Again - Am I being unreasonable??

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm frankly surprised they covered the hotel. In my view whatever they give you is a gift. Your warranty details all of that, I'm sure.

The tow company probably disclaims this type of thing so I would think the spoiler issue would go through your insurance, no?

·
Registered
417 Posts
IMHO, yes you are being unreasonable.

The warranty covers the vehicle. It's not FCA's fault that you chose to get a car from a dealer so far from your home. You did that for the discount but you had options to buy locally. I think covering the hotel is a very nice gesture but to be expected to pay for food and misc expenses, that's a bit much.

The cosmetic damages from the tow company should be paid for by the tow company. I'm assuming you chose that company, right? If FCA told you, "You have to use John Doe from We Scratch Your Car Towing Company" then you would have a grievance. But if you picked the tow company then that can't be put on fault of FCA and them be held responsible for another companies damages.

Really sorry to hear about what happened to the car though.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The cosmetic damages from the tow company should be paid for by the tow company. I'm assuming you chose that company, right? If FCA told you, "You have to use John Doe from We Scratch Your Car Towing Company" then you would have a grievance. But if you picked the tow company then that can't be put on fault of FCA and them be held responsible for another companies damages.
I did NOT chose either tow company - FCA/roadside assistance and the dealer did AND I was not allowed to be in the tow truck due to Covid so I had to provide my own transportation (uber) until the dealer opened in Monday and they at least got me a rental car for Mon/Tues.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I did NOT chose either tow company - FCA/roadside assistance and the dealer did AND I allowed to be in the tow truck due to Covid so I had to provide my own transportation (uber) until the dealer opened in Monday and they at least got me a rental car for Mon/Tues.
Then FCA or Dealer that forced you to use that company is liable for the damages. Or they need to force the tow company to pay for them. That's simple right there. If you went with their preferred company everything is on them at that point.

That's was important info you left out of your story which makes a major difference in the outcome.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm frankly surprised they covered the hotel. In my view whatever they give you is a gift. Your warranty details all of that, I'm sure.

The tow company probably disclaims this type of thing so I would think the spoiler issue would go through your insurance, no?
Thanks for the feedback - like I said just wanting to see if I should chill out or just accept it.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SO based on feedback I went and did a quick FCA warranty search and apparently I should be happy with them covering hotel only - since apparently they do not have to cover anything - just a word to the wise.

"1.1. Incidental And Consequential Damages Not Covered Your warranties do not cover any incidental or consequential damages connected with your vehicle’s failure, either while under warranty or
afterward.
Examples of such damages include:
• Lost time
• Inconvenience
• The loss of the use of your vehicle
• The cost of rental vehicles, gasoline, telephone, travel, or lodging
• The loss of personal or commercial property
• The loss of revenue"

·
Registered
107 Posts
Working for an extremely large global manufacturer, I can tell you that in business terms the hotel and ancillary costs are considered "consequential damages" and would never, ever, be covered by a warranty. I personally would be very grateful they reimbursed the hotel expense. I unfortunately spend a significant amount of my time negotiating contracts so issues like this are clear if a claim ever arises.

The vehicle damage is a lot more gray. I would agree that if FCA and the dealer selected and called (procured) the towing company, they (FCA) should bear the burden of risk and be accountable.

·
Super Moderator
Jeep GC Trackhawk
2,455 Posts
Decide if the issue is really worth all the frustration and anger it is causing.

Sometimes it's better to just let it go and get back to enjoying what you have.

JMO

·
Registered
417 Posts
What’s the difference between this and traveling in the car? Are we not allowed to take a road trip?
Absolutely nothing, but I don't recall a factory warranty covering those items. Some 3rd party ones do and I believe you can pay extra for those things but I don't recall the factory warranty covering them.

The question posed was based more off what should be covered and that should be clearly detailed out in the agreement. Anything past that is PR work.

I could be wrong and often times are. For the OP I hope I am but what I've advised on is my experiences so I would have asked for what the OP did and would have been happy getting anything reimbursed. I would however be upset about the damage from their preferred tow company/dealership. That's on FCA.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,849 Posts
What is ridiculous is that you didn't hit the forum up and see if anyone was local with an extra belt or two.
If anyone ever has a problem in the Pittsburgh PA area, PM me and I will help you. I have 10 different belts in stock in my garage.
Geez...... hotel, tow truck, Firestone, dealership. You could have made a new belt in shorter time with less damage.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
Just a word of advice, anytime your vehicle is going to be towed...

Ask for a flatbed and repeatedly abuse them almost of the fact that they need to bring wood so that the car will not scrape.

Had to do this twice for my ZL1.... and the towing company was actually very willing to do it as they didn't want the bill either...

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
338 Posts
What is ridiculous is that you didn't hit the forum up and see if anyone was local with an extra belt or two.
If anyone ever has a problem in the Pittsburgh PA area, PM me and I will help you. I have 10 different belts in stock in my garage.
Geez...... hotel, tow truck, Firestone, dealership. You could have made a new belt in shorter time with less damage.
You're also assuming he was even thinking about it... you get pissed off cuz something bad happens we all tend to forget some very easy stuff....

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok hindsight can always be 20-20.

But what if the belt was not bad? how many belts have ate themselves in the 1st 600 miles for no reason? what caused the car to destroy the belt? Trust me I thought about slapping a belt/making something work BUT why would I? and take the chance that something more serious was wrong - remember brand new car under warranty.

I ironically I felt it was better to not touch the car and risk creating further damage or worse have FCA blame me for whatever caused the failure. So I called roadside and handed over the keys.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a word of advice, anytime your vehicle is going to be towed...

Ask for a flatbed and repeatedly abuse them almost of the fact that they need to bring wood so that the car will not scrape.

Had to do this twice for my ZL1.... and the towing company was actually very willing to do it as they didn't want the bill either...
Thank you - lack of experience (THANKFULLY) on my part. Thankfully two previous Hellcats and numerous lower cars and never had to have any of them towed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What part of the Burgh are you in? I’m in Cranberry.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts