SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Awesome trip, thanks for sharing! Some of your photos made me really glad that I went with the Indigo Blue for my order. I was on the fence for a while, but man that is a nice color.

The Dragon is always a great time. I was there once in a rented Mustang GT convertible and I was there this past summer with my bike. There are also some great driving roads around the area, if you know where to look.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Awesome trip, thanks for sharing! Some of your photos made me really glad that I went with the Indigo Blue for my order. I was on the fence for a while, but man that is a nice color.

The Dragon is always a great time. I was there once in a rented Mustang GT convertible and I was there this past summer with my bike. There are also some great driving roads around the area, if you know where to look.

Agreed, Indigo blue is just gorgeous when its clean...its a bear to keep clean. Not as bad a black, but it loves to attract dust like a mofo...I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me as it did in the first few months I owned it. Pro tip for you...get used to it being dirty and just live with it!

·
Registered
2022 Jailbreak
273 Posts
Really enjoyed seeing all the pics. Been by that Florence y'all water tower a million times heading back to Va.
Where do you live im Michigan? Im in StJoe-Benton harbor(SW) on the big lake.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Really enjoyed seeing all the pics. Been by that Florence y'all water tower a million times heading back to Va.
Where do you live im Michigan? Im in StJoe-Benton harbor(SW) on the big lake.
45mins north of Detriot…not on a lake! But I have a cottage on houghton lake which is 2.5hrs north of me

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm going to be doing the route 66.Check out all the old buildings and whatnot soon as my car is finished with the new hhp bottom end. Got a break in the new motor

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
I'm going to be doing the route 66.Check out all the old buildings and whatnot soon as my car is finished with the new hhp bottom end. Got a break in the new motor
Make sure you share!!! You might convince me to do the same. I did that drive back in 1998 in my sweet black on black 93 T-Bird I think I’d like to do it again

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
1,270 Posts
Got a break in the new motor
The only thing that needs to be broke in is the rings. Curious what hhp suggested as a procedure to do so? Imo a road trip is not required and is actually detrimental to a fresh engine

“Most people seem to operate on the philosophy that they can best get their money’s worth from any mechanical device by treating it with great care. This is probably true, but it is necessary to interpret what great care really means. This is particularly applicable when considering the break-in of a reciprocating engine.”

When the cylinders are freshly honed the peaks are sharp with little surface area. The goal when seating the rings on new cylinders is to flatten out these peaks to give more surface area to support the rings, while leaving the bottom of the groove intact to hold enough oil to keep the surface of the cylinder wet with oil. At the point where the top of the peaks produced by the honing operation become smooth and the tapered portion of the piston ring wears flat break in has occurred. Period. It’s gonna leak down better at that moment than at any other moment over the lifespan of the motor.

“For those who still think that running the engine hard during break-in falls into the category of cruel and unusual punishment, there is one more argument for using high power loading for short periods (to avoid excessive heat) during the break-in. The use of low power settings does not expand the piston rings enough, and a film of oil is left on the cylinder walls. The high temperatures in the combustion chamber will oxidize this oil film so that it creates glazing of the cylinder walls. With this occurrence, the ring break-in process stops, and excessive oil consumption frequently occurs. The bad news is that extensive glazing can only be corrected by removing the cylinders and re-honing the walls. This is expensive, and it is an expense that can be avoided by proper break in procedures.”

Reactions: coanan

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The only thing that needs to be broke in is the rings. Curious what hhp suggested as a procedure to do so? Imo a road trip is not required and is actually detrimental to a fresh engine

“Most people seem to operate on the philosophy that they can best get their money’s worth from any mechanical device by treating it with great care. This is probably true, but it is necessary to interpret what great care really means. This is particularly applicable when considering the break-in of a reciprocating engine.”

When the cylinders are freshly honed the peaks are sharp with little surface area. The goal when seating the rings on new cylinders is to flatten out these peaks to give more surface area to support the rings, while leaving the bottom of the groove intact to hold enough oil to keep the surface of the cylinder wet with oil. At the point where the top of the peaks produced by the honing operation become smooth and the tapered portion of the piston ring wears flat break in has occurred. Period. It’s gonna leak down better at that moment than at any other moment over the lifespan of the motor.

“For those who still think that running the engine hard during break-in falls into the category of cruel and unusual punishment, there is one more argument for using high power loading for short periods (to avoid excessive heat) during the break-in. The use of low power settings does not expand the piston rings enough, and a film of oil is left on the cylinder walls. The high temperatures in the combustion chamber will oxidize this oil film so that it creates glazing of the cylinder walls. With this occurrence, the ring break-in process stops, and excessive oil consumption frequently occurs. The bad news is that extensive glazing can only be corrected by removing the cylinders and re-honing the walls. This is expensive, and it is an expense that can be avoided by proper break in procedures.”
i floor every engine fresh out the box…and besides the OEM send these thing to the moon on the dyno a few times before they are installed in the car. Take it easy all you want…the factory didn’t

61 - 73 of 73 Posts