SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you polish and wax before having the clear bra/paint protection film installed? Planning to have the front end, mirrors and lower rear bumper cover done. I was curious if the film would still stick if I clay bar and wax the car first? I would like to get the shipping contaminants off and wax before I have the film installed. Worried if I don't do that and have the film installed first and then clay bar and wax the rest of the car. The green will not be the same level of shine or color as the areas that were not clay barred and waxed?

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,193 Posts
I saw some post with the clay bar treatment before the film I don't know about a wax or not. but they went with the clay bar to improve the finish

no film for me

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,740 Posts
I'm pretty sure they will use wax and grease remover for adhesion.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
531 Posts
Absolutely paint correction on the whole car first.

Step 1 clay bar to remove any contaminants. Good test it to take a plastic bag like a zip lock and put it over your hand and if you feel the grit on the paint definetly an area to clay.

Step 2 Paint correction. This is where you machine polish to remove light scratches and swirl marks. This could be two step of polish depending on the condition of the paint.

Step 3 Paint Sealer. This will protect the freshly perfected paint. The option at this stage is some sort of protection like Cquartz or Opti Coat there are other steps like wheels under hood etc that can be done at this stage as well.

Step 4 now the protection film can be applied. Once dry and in place. 24 hours you can put paint sealer over the clear bra

Step 5 wax the whole car.

The results should be stunning at this point.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
589 Posts
My cat was 1 week old. Used Dawn 2-3 washes, Iron-x, then clay bar, then Car pro reflect polish with buffer then 50/50 alcohol and water spray. Drove 100 miles with blue tape on the from and had 3M bra installed. The installer used Dawn again as he said no matter what I did he takes any wax off with Dawn before install.
After the 3M bra I used Liquid glass pre-cleaner and top coated with several layers of Liquid glass and add a layer every 3-4 weeks.
Worked for me but no idea if this was the best thing to do or not but gave this lots of thought and think it was a good plan?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
131 Posts
Paint should be prepared prior to any film going on. Polished to flawless and then film applied. Then coating, sealant or wax of choice on the entire vehicle. I like to prep the areas that are receiving the film and then leave the rest for after install, because you never know what areas may need a touch up after, so its best to not perfect the rest of the car until after film is applied.

HUMP

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
593 Posts
Absolutely paint correction on the whole car first.

Step 1 clay bar to remove any contaminants. Good test it to take a plastic bag like a zip lock and put it over your hand and if you feel the grit on the paint definetly an area to clay.

Step 2 Paint correction. This is where you machine polish to remove light scratches and swirl marks. This could be two step of polish depending on the condition of the paint.

Step 3 Paint Sealer. This will protect the freshly perfected paint. The option at this stage is some sort of protection like Cquartz or Opti Coat there are other steps like wheels under hood etc that can be done at this stage as well.

Step 4 now the protection film can be applied. Once dry and in place. 24 hours you can put paint sealer over the clear bra

Step 5 wax the whole car.

The results should be stunning at this point.
I think if you use CQuartz or Opti you do NOT wax it. Wax defeats the purpose as CQ protects and is more "slippery" already.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,869 Posts
who ever does your clear bra will most likely take all the wax off anyways...so i wouldnt bother.....

·
Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,193 Posts
there are other important prep things a quality installer will do, but you don't need to wax your car. I would bring it in as clean as you can get it.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
531 Posts
I think if you use CQuartz or Opti you do NOT wax it. Wax defeats the purpose as CQ protects and is more "slippery" already.
Sorry Slowhand I guess I should clarify I am not saying you should wax prior to applying the clear bra as other have stated they will use typically some water and dish washing liquid to "strip off anything" then they would consider the surface prepped for film. In my case I applied the OptiCoat Pro after the clear bra was applied. After serveral months I had some swirls on both the paint and clear bra covered panels and I was able to polish them out and then I applied protectant and then wax on the whole car. I was told that even though I have OptiCoat it could be polished approx three times before it would need to be applied again. Hope that clears up my suggestion a bit.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,034 Posts
I have my car in being done with the XPel treatment.
Hope to get it back tomorrow. He told me that I should not worry about it,
Since he will wash and clean the areas first before applying it.
I clayed it anyway
So I trust him to make it good.
Will let you know how it looks when I get it back.
Calling for liquid sunshine on Friday so I have its new litter box ready for it.

I did the entire front end from the windshield forward. Rockers, mirrors.
I can post pics when I get it back. I was impressed with the jobs I saw at his shop.
A Z06 and a Porch.
Both looked good and was hard to tell where the lines ended on each vehicle.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
72 Posts
question the company doing my xpel front bumper said to do that first before allying a nano ceramic sealant. does that make sense? they said if I did the nano ceramic the xpel will not stick as well
thanks

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,348 Posts
Wax is a great way to have things NOT stick to the paint lol. Decals and vinyl will not stay on very long either lol.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
135 Posts
I know that Llumar films spec's Zaino Z-2 under and on top of their paint films, I know this because the company worked on this for years with me in the late 90's. I use Z-CS Clear Seal on top of my cars that have paint protection, fast and easy

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
131 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
581 Posts
There is a detailer I know that will apply IGL Kenzo to a vehicle before wrapping. His method is this:

xpel.jpg

He will correct the entire vehicle, mask off the edges, he reports that is where he sees the most difficulty with film adhering, and coat the remainder of the vehicle.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
399 Posts
Ceramic Coating:
I spoke with one of the manufactures about PPF regarding a prior vehicle.
PPF will not adhere to it, so do not apply it under PPF.
It will probably not stick to PPF.
It is a replacement for wax, so no need to wax afterward.

PPF:
I have never paint corrected the areas prior to applying film.
It hides the light stuff, because I never noticed any scratching on any of my vehicles underneath the film.
However...given the #$%! quality of our paint, there is probably debris on it that requires sanding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts