SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my 2017 cat was sitting in my garage for 40 min or so after I got back home and weird electronic noise started coming out from engine block every 12-15 seconds. Sounds like a chime or 2 beeps (one long one short) type. No clue. Took to dealership, they never heard of such a thing. So I waited there for 30 min, never came on. Got back home and in an hour it started again. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah when Im washing my car or something where Im walking back and forth near mine, it will do the same. But without hearing it, it’s hard to say.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not sure how to post a video here (for the sound it makes). I played with the key distance to the car, didn’t change anything. It’s a really unusual sound. If you a have a house security system, it sounds like a chime when you open a door (2 part beep), just a different tone.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,889 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe a weird question, but… do you only hear it at home, and not when you park somewhere else? Maybe it's something else near/around the car in the garage that is making the sound?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe a weird question, but… do you only hear it at home, and not when you park somewhere else? Maybe it's something else near/around the car in the garage that is making the sound?
I had to involve my whole family to locate where the noise was coming from in the garage. 100% from engine block. It became obvious when I popped the hood.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
693 Posts
It's a servo that controls the turning on of certain electrical functions. I asked the same question of my old T/A 392 back when I bought it in 2018. That's what the technician said anyway.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a servo that controls the turning on of certain electrical functions. I asked the same question of my old T/A 392 back when I bought it in 2018. That's what the technician said anyway.
[/QUOTE
Do you know how they fixed it?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I finally found a video with same exact issue. Apparently, it’s a somewhat common thing, but no real explanation

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
693 Posts
Ok, I finally found a video with same exact issue. Apparently, it’s a somewhat common thing, but no real explanation
Mine never sounded like that, but yeah, still sounds like a servo. Which one it is though, I don't know. And mine didn't need fixing, just wasn't used to hearing them on any car I'd owned before. Was a new, just normal sound for mine.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,506 Posts
Cant say that sounds normal. Ive had one 392 car and two Hellcat’s and have never heard that once. Sounds like something has too little clearance and is scraping while trying to open or close.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
281 Posts
Its nothing to worry about. I had same concern when I heard mine doing it. If I recall, its a relay and nothing at all to worry about. I only heard it once and never again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Its cute. I believe he is communicating with Satan. :p

If unsure take it to the dealer. I also read somewhere its nothing to worry about but dont remember where.

·
Registered
2021 Charger Redeye WB
74 Posts
It's a servo.
Standard noise from one as usually the motors in them are pulsed at an audible frequency.

It's how any of you into quadcopters may have heard a beeping noise being made by the motors.

On my other car the throttle body does the same thing but it's constant as they keep it in closed loop continuously. Here's an exaggerated example with a brushless motor.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It came back today again after sitting in a garage for an hour. Lasted for about 30 min. then stopped. I made peace with it, given the consensus that it’s not dangerous. Dealership is clueless of course. In the comments for the video someone said he had opened a star case 3 month ago, would keep posted. Hopefully there will be a definite answer eventually.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts