SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a very distinct sound like a card stuck in bike spokes when I'm driving and only when I'm driving. It does not occur while in neutral. The noise speeds up as the speed increases. I brought it to 2 separate shops and both said they have no idea what it is. All the tests they did went great and the vehicle is driving great but no one can figure out this noise. Would appreciate any insight if someone has encountered this.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it sound like it's coming from the wheels?
There's no change in sound when turning, and I don't think it's from tires. Tires are brand new and it almost takes a minute or 2 before the sound gets bad. It's like the engine need to heat up before it gets prominent.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,480 Posts
Hmmm. Was thinking rotor ring nuts but if it doesn't sound like the noise is coming from that area maybe not. Fuel pump is good? I would say Hemi tick but it's obviously a new issue. Oil level is good?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. Was thinking rotor ring nuts but if it doesn't sound like the noise is coming from that area maybe not. Fuel pump is good? I would say Hemi tick but it's obviously a new issue. Oil level is good?
It just started 2 days ago after I loaded the whole car up full of all my belongings. The suggestion I've gotten is to bring to the dealership. But its another 1000 miles before home. I just hope it's not something major.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,480 Posts
Well if fluid levels are good and it started only after loading her up "should be ok". If under warranty probably best to let a dealer handle it. Just be specific because they can be dopey. Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well if fluid levels are good and it started only after loading her up "should be ok". If under warranty probably best to let a dealer handle it. Just be specific because they can be dopey. Lol
Ok sounds good thanks for your input just helps hearing from a fellow owner. This is my 2nd Dodge Charger. Never had this issue.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,952 Posts
I'm driving from California to Wisconsin so it's a little concerning but everyone seems to think it's safe to drive.
That would not be my opinion. I never like to hit the road with any of my cars manifesting some noise and without knowing the source of the noise.

(Earlier this month just completed a 1900+ mile road drip from CA to AR and besides having fresh oil in the engine the car was not manifesting any noises, untoward behavior.)

You should have the car looked at if you are not able to do this. A "fluttering" noise could be a loose under body plastic panel, something caught under the car like a plastic bag, a possible loose wheel lug nut.

A loose brake pad. That is the hardware that holds the pad securely in the cavity in the caliper has broken and the pad can move around. "Rattle" so to speak.

The noise can even be a loose wheel weight -- one that is held in place with adhesive tape -- flopping about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That would not be my opinion. I never like to hit the road with any of my cars manifesting some noise and without knowing the source of the noise.

(Earlier this month just completed a 1900+ mile road drip from CA to AR and besides having fresh oil in the engine the car was not manifesting any noises, untoward behavior.)

You should have the car looked at if you are not able to do this. A "fluttering" noise could be a loose under body plastic panel, something caught under the car like a plastic bag, a possible loose wheel lug nut.

A loose brake pad. That is the hardware that holds the pad securely in the cavity in the caliper has broken and the pad can move around. "Rattle" so to speak.

The noise can even be a loose wheel weight -- one that is held in place with adhesive tape -- flopping about.
The shops that looked at, do you think they would miss something like that?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,952 Posts
The shops that looked at, do you think they would miss something like that?
The car is making a noise that is based on what you wrote abnormal. And FWIW is abnormal in my experience, too.

So far no one can tell you what it is. So yes the shops have missed something.

Unfortunately I have to say this that the chances are the shops didn't look that hard. The car needs to be lifted up and the wheel which one thinks the noise is coming from at least needs to be removed and the brake hardware, tire weights, wheel well liner, and plastic panels in that area checked for any signs of any problems.

A good case could be made for removing both wheels or even all 4. Noises are sometimes tricky to pinpoint exactly where they are coming from.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,952 Posts
Want to add that over the years a few of my cars have manifested strange noises. In two cases it was something -- a twig once and a small rock another time -- that got between the front brake rotor and the splash shield. In both cases though the noise was a horrible screech. It just happened I almost instantly knew the source of the noise.

In another case which I may have mentioned a wheel well liner became loose and with the car at speed air forced the plastic liner down and into contact with the pavement. This required a bit of work to diagnose. I do not recall now how I happened to notice the signs of abrasion on the leading edge of the plastic wheel well liner but thankfully I did.

In another case apparently something got caught in the accessory drive. The noise was rather disturbing that I had the car flat bedded 30 miles to the dealer. At the dealer the noise was gone. Whatever was caught blew out with the car on the back of the flat bed tow truck. The SM and senior tech told me this is not uncommon for something to get caught in the accessory drive. The radiator fans are very powerful and at slow speed in a parking lot blow up a cloud of dust/dirt and trash.

(The car in question, my Boxster, had the engine located right behind the 2 seat cabin, but the engine was hard to view. In particular the accessory drive is only visible with the car in the air and with one looking up from under the car or if one removes the panel that is bolted behind the seats and separates the cabin from the front of the engine. I was at work and had no tools with me to unbolt this panel.)

In the case of my Hellcat I pulled out of a parking lot and drove 2 blocks to the freeway. As I accelerated up to speed I heard a whump whump whump. It continued for a mile and then on a surface street a few blocks further to where I lived. What I found was a several foot long "cord" like piece of road tar had managed to get lodged into the tire tread groove and the loose end was striking the car and making the noise. Where this piece of road tar came from I'm not sure but I managed to pull it off the tire and the noise was gone.

Other noises have been a bad wheel bearing, a bad water pump, two times a bad accessory drive idler roller bearing.

In the case of the something caught in the accessory drive, the bad water pump and the accessory drive idler roller bearings the noise was present with the engine running but the car stationary.

In every case though it took some investigation to find the source of the noise. In the wheel bearing the shop foreman heard the noise but could not identify the wheel with a high degree of confidence. At his request I test drove the car and reported my "guess" as to which wheel. This happened to agree with his "guess". The bearing was replaced and the noise gone.

In the case of the tar caught in the tire this was not at first obvious. The first time I stopped the car to look I spotted nothing to account for the noise. But when I started moving the car I heard the noise again and when I stopped the car the 2nd time this time a length of this cord was hanging down from the tire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a very distinct sound like a card stuck in bike spokes when I'm driving and only when I'm driving. It does not occur while in neutral. The noise speeds up as the speed increases. I brought it to 2 separate shops and both said they have no idea what it is. All the tests they did went great and the vehicle is driving great but no one can figure out this noise. Would appreciate any insight if someone has encountered this.

Thanks
I have an SRT 392 2016 , had a similar issue although mind sounded like it came from the gearbox , interestingly enough it turned out to be a slightly loose bolt on the exhaust . The car echos a little weirdly I guess so I’d recommend you try and get all of the bolts tightened under the car maybe that’ll solve it

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
448 Posts
If it only does it when the car is loaded up has to be tire related.. Check air pressures make sure between 32 to 35.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,432 Posts
Do you have wider than OEM tires or any suspension modifications? Maybe when loaded you have a tire rubbing on the plastic fender liner?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts