SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
2,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I had previously guessed 2025 for the end of the platform, but I was too optimistic it seems. 2024 is the last ride according to today's article.

That said, I'm interested to see if they do the 392/eTorque thing I've mentioned in a few previous threads as their "plug in hybrid" solution since the article rules out the Durango as the target vehicle.

Times they are a'changing!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,693 Posts

I had previously guessed 2025 for the end of the platform, but I was too optimistic it seems. 2024 is the last ride according to today's article.

That said, I'm interested to see if they do the 392/eTorque thing I've mentioned in a few previous threads as their "plug in hybrid" solution since the article rules out the Durango as the target vehicle.

Times they are a'changing!
Until they change their mind.

FCA is well-known for changing production decisions on much shorter timelines than others.

The new Grand Cherokee was pushed back at least twice, as was the grand wagoneer. This platforms Swan song was sung many times already in rumors but the reality is it's a cash cow no consumer really wants changed.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I have a feeling they’ll drag out production of combustion engine models, it’s like gun sales every time a Democrat gets elected president, people are going to keep buying them until the price of gas is $10 a gallon. The never lift program may keep them going even after projected turnover to all electric. If there’s a big enough market and profit margin Stellantis might turn a blind eye.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
10,430 Posts
Well that's def a shift from Tim K's recent press. I read somewhere that he had said both platforms may be sold at the same time for a limited time, at least for '24. Oh well, it's a business and hopefully they know what theyre doing.

·
Registered
21 Hellcat Charger
353 Posts
Why do you guys think they are doing this "jailbreak" thing??? They are cleaning out the parts bins so when production ends, they aren't left holding a huge bag of parts and materials.

This is typical. Electronics are the same. At the end of chip runs, they start putting out these low yield product lines with different sku's. Those are previous yields that didnt make minimum performance or quality metrics for the main line, then get regulated to lower tier products. They are in essence trying to sell the bottom of the barrel parts and configs to anyone that will pay for them.

Dodge is doing that here. Trying to rope in the last customers by letting them basically do what they want with configurations and clearing out the last of what they have.

·
Premium Member
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
10,430 Posts
Why do you guys think they are doing this "jailbreak" thing??? They are cleaning out the parts bins so when production ends, they aren't left holding a huge bag of parts and materials.

This is typical. Electronics are the same. At the end of chip runs, they start putting out these low yield product lines with different sku's. Those are previous yields that didnt make minimum performance or quality metrics for the mail line, then get regulated to lower tier products. They are in essence trying to sell the bottom of the barrel parts and configs to anyone that will pay for them.

Dodge doing that here. Trying to rope in the last customers by letting them basically do what they want with configurations.
For sure. I mean you cant blame them. Squeeze it for all it's worth, it's a business. The Jailbreak thing does nothing for me. But the hp upgrade thing? All in. They got me by the short hairs.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Jailbreak is just another trim option package, just like the orange and black out. Dodge always does special edition runs, just a unique to the era aesthetic package occasionally wrapped in with some performance upgrades. Never Lift should give most options without the “special” badging and art.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
107 Posts
From what I read, I don't see anything pointing to them dropping ICE altogether. The article even says they will be coming out with new platforms/chassis with some models for diehard gearheads. EV and ICE will coexist for long after our lifetimes, as they have for the last 140 years. The only difference: EV technology has finally found itself in a time where it has technological advancement, and larger investments in its favor for its perceived "green footprint", allowing it to become more mobile.

Maybe I underestimate the gullibility of the collective human race, but I'm certain they know that they will encounter the same resource contention regarding EV materials, as they have with ICE. It's not zero point energy ffs.

"The legacy cars will be replaced by new vehicles on new platforms. Kuniskis will not say if the new models will keep their old names but he knows there is a lot of equity in names like Charger and Challenger."

"Dodge will not forget its base. There will be more buzz vehicles which will be of interest to enthusiasts who want to see the continued evolution of traditional muscle cars with powerful internal combustion engines."

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I have a feeling they’ll drag out production of combustion engine models, it’s like gun sales every time a Democrat gets elected president, people are going to keep buying them until the price of gas is $10 a gallon. The never lift program may keep them going even after projected turnover to all electric. If there’s a big enough market and profit margin Stellantis might turn a blind eye.
Unless the childless species-questionable golems who seem to seize power in big corporations just want to destroy anything and everything masculine and American, just like they did when they assaulted the original muscle cars. Remember, it was the insurance industry, not the gas prices, that killed the muscle car.

·
Registered
Charger 392
34 Posts
Kuniskis said basically the same thing last year in August. From the article: "His timeline suggested there might still be a V8-powered Charger and Challenger for the 2025 model year, though nothing is official as of August 2021. "Dodge's plans for the future of its muscle cars are murky"

Reactions: elementaltoad

·
Registered
Charger 392
34 Posts
"Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis confirmed to Motor Authority that production of its Hellcat supercharged V-8 will end the year before the electric car arrives."

IMO, the future of Dodge and the lineup is going to be $$$ driven and I believe Dodge and more important Stellantis as a group feel that there is more profit to be made by selling the EV and hybrids and just kill the Hellcat.

Reactions: CPO Super stock

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
1,237 Posts
What I pick up from the MT article is that the big bosses are telling the divisions to step up or die. So the only answer is “yes, we will step up!”. Now the marketing people are going wild with promises that meet the “step up” plan to keep corporate happy.

I really would like to know what the lowly engineers are thinking…

a) Yea! Now we can give the world all the things we have been holding back!

b) Oh crap, we have a lot of work to do.

c) How the f’ are we going to do that?!?!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts