SRT Hellcat Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,284 Posts
Thanks! Really the GT is in the running because I find it stunning to look at, but it makes 450 hp and is about as heavy as the Challenger, so it's not going to be as fun to drive for sure.

As a real-world example - if you were going highway speeds, shifted to third, and floored it, would it grip or slip? Just trying to get an idea of how sloppy it's going to be. I understand power makes wheels slip - I had a modified twin turbo Z in college where first gear was useless, and second would slip if you let it when the turbos spooled. I'm just trying to figure out where these things fall in that scale.:)
Takes some experience. Roll into the throttle (any gear) and don't stab the throttle like it has half the power. Takes some experience, because it has a gob of torque at any RPM.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
487 Posts
For the OP :

These things are not as crazy as the youtube hype. Those burnouts... alot of them break stand and then you see the video. In my case, its pretty fast, I would not call it "OMG I CAN SEE FOREVER" fast. The ride is pretty nice. You'll have way more room than a import sport job.

And the big deal you can tell your wife, and this really kinda screwed up my plans, the only people that really take notice and gawk at these cars seem to be teen age boys. Now, if your like me, when they ask " Is that a HEllcat? Can I check it out real fast?" the typical retort is "Well son, that depends. Whats your mom look like?"

Just my .02

They really are fun cars though. Stock, not bad at all.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
989 Posts
2018 Six Speed Wide Body no mods here. I use the car stricktly for fun and drive the shit out of it, so here's my experience. Remember I have 305 stock summer Pirellis and I disable traction control by holding the TC button down for 7 seconds after start up.
1st gear offers no traction at full throttle from any RPM. 2nd gear, tires smoke if they are not up to temp. 2nd gear with warm tires will smoke if the weather is cool or is a cold night, engine makes more power with cooler intake temps. Under normal conditions 2nd gear bites and claws and is on the verge of spinning under full throttle. 3rd gear I have never had it spin up on me unless there was a bump that lifts the car up and that only lasts a split second. With regard to tracking in a straight line I've never had it do anything but go straight as long as you start straight. If you are into drifting it's very capable and very predictable if you have the skills. With regard to a standard body hellcat with 275 rubber on it stock, I would guess you could exagerate everything I've written here by say 25% give or take 5%.
My opinion: This Widebody is a safer better handling proper version of the Hellcat in stock form. If you prefer the classic look I'm sure it can be adjusted to nearly the same levels of traction and cornering. I don't know much about the Maserati's performance but I can tell you that my 6 speed manual Hellcat is my pride and joy and I love it. It never ever dissapoints. I was also pleasantly surprised by the quality "feel" the car has. It by far exceeded my expectations. For comparison I also own and have been driving a 2013 Camaro ZL1 for the past 7 years and it is 400lbs lighter and handles amazing too but, my 6MT Hellcat Wide Body is way faster and a superior machine overall. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,348 Posts
Way over hyped. I was actually underwhelmed at first because of it. I've learned that you have to ask it to be a beast first, it usually won't get away from you without you asking for/deserving it lol.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,031 Posts
..."sloppy"...

This is not a word I would personally use to describe my car... Not even close... I'm not sure if this is your own word based on what you've read, or if you picked it up from a particular source.

In fact I think of my Hellcat as being exactly what I make it, either very refined and subtle, a truly nice, relaxing car for a mountain road GT style run, or if I elect to do so, just a bit hyper when I've got a few Grannies turned off and decide to stab the throttle. And even then, it's not sloppy..

I've got a couple videos in my signature, watch them, 175+mph, very smooth if you ask me. I've even had people ask me about shifting the M6 at speed and how I do it. "Easy" is the answer...

;)

·
Registered
In The Market
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've got a couple videos in my signature, watch them, 175+mph, very smooth if you ask me. I've even had people ask me about shifting the M6 at speed and how I do it. "Easy" is the answer...

;)
Those videos are great, I love the telemetry metrics. Really lets you know how the car is behaving.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
989 Posts
..."sloppy"...

This is not a word I would personally use to describe my car... Not even close... I'm not sure if this is your own word based on what you've read, or if you picked it up from a particular source.

In fact I think of my Hellcat as being exactly what I make it, either very refined and subtle, a truly nice, relaxing car for a mountain road GT style run, or if I elect to do so, just a bit hyper when I've got a few Grannies turned off and decide to stab the throttle. And even then, it's not sloppy..

;)
I tried to watch your speed run videos but can't find the links Bull. Says your profile is private. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thank you sir.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
53 Posts
I tried to watch your speed run videos but can't find the links Bull. Says your profile is private. Any help in the right direction would be appreciated. Thank you sir.
Click the links that say 2016 or 2017 in his signature in the bottom right hand corner.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,031 Posts
If you're on a phone, rotate 90 for signatures to show up, if you're Tapatalk or whatever it's called, I don't think you have the option...

Click the links that say 2016 or 2017 in his signature in the bottom right hand corner.
Yup

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
487 Posts
I would agree that "sloppy" is not really correct. I will say this though, my 2016 had either had the hood lined up by a monkey or it was free beer night. Mas produced car. You have to expect to shake a few dingle berries out of it in the first few months as the body settles in. I really love my car, great hobby, fun at the local cruise ins just hanging out and talking cars.

Again, "sloppy" is kinda not correct. I mean, I hear exotics can get creaky and have issues... just being hand built. I say get one. Buy it right. Enjoy the hell out of it for a few months. Once the " OMG, is that rain cloud" phase passes... enjoy the ever loving crap out of it.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
56 Posts
The fun factor has already been covered well so they only thing I can add is comfort. These Challengers are very roomy and you can take longer trips. I'm a bigger guy and I took a 275mi day trip today... no fatigue and tons of fun. I can't speak to the Maserati you are considering but others I've experienced are no where near as comfortable in my opinion.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts