SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read (decades ago) that if you are stuck in traffic you should put the car into N or P. When I got the RE, sometimes when I just hit the beginning of a long red I would pop it into N.

Last time at the dealer I asked and the tech and Serv Mgr what is best to do at a long red, both said leave it in D.

I am a hard core M guy and most of my A driving experience is with my truck, I don’t even know how the frekin’ things work.

So please let me know the pros and cons of putting it into N for the 45-60 sec of a long red.

Thanks!

(Edit: Orig post was missing the "6" of 60sec.)

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,341 Posts
I have read (decades ago) that if you are stuck in traffic you should put the car into N or P. When I got the RE, sometimes when I just hit the beginning of a long red I would pop it into N.

Last time at the dealer I asked and the tech and Serv Mgr what is best to do at a long red, both said leave it in D.

I am a hard core M guy and most of my A driving experience is with my truck, I don’t even know how the frekin’ things work.

So please let me know the pros and cons of putting it into N for the 45-0 sec of a long red.

Thanks!
D or 1... unless it's a train...

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,075 Posts
Brings up another question, what % of your driving is in manual mode?
100%.
Shifter, not paddles. Paddles are great for straight line hard pulls but daily driving with them can twist your arms into pretzels lol.

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
139 Posts
Absolutely, just a clickbait and fluff thread…no one ever has report a problem with their vehicle due to an issue of putting a vehicle into Park, Neutral or leaving it in Drive….for Gawd Sakes man. Probably millions upon millions of drivers are in Drive when in traffic for “45-60secs” and no one has ever gone to a shop asking or reported a problem that their vehicle has problems because they did or didn’t shift at a stop light!

ADMINISTRATION: please change the count on how many times a user needs before they can use ALL of the website forum! This is getting ridiculous.

·
HOTM Winner
12,075 Posts
What is that icon? Can't read it in my Win 3.2.
I deleted it. Was just the guy raising his hand emoji. I misread your question at first. Thought it was asking who drives solely in M mode lol.

·
HOTM Winner
12,075 Posts
Absolutely, just a clickbait and fluff thread…no one ever has report a problem with their vehicle due to an issue of putting a vehicle into Park, Neutral or leaving it in Drive….for Gawd Sakes man. Probably millions upon millions of drivers are in Drive when in traffic for “45-60secs” and no one has ever gone to a shop asking or reported a problem that their vehicle has problems because they did or didn’t shift at a stop light!

ADMINISTRATION: please change the count on how many times a user needs before they can use ALL of the website forum! This is getting ridiculous.
Lol well there’s never anything new from Dodge with the Hellcat so there‘s not much to post about. Meh.

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No reason for the anger, just asking a simple question. I never had a HP car with a A. So:

One guy said not long ago "I don't know how to driver an A..". Sounds stupid, but I have owned many performance cars but not with A's and not like this. I hoped for some simple info as to whether I should drive the RE differently than my truck. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I always stay in D or 1. You never know when you may have to react to something/quickly move. It’s also always good to leave some space between you and the car in front of you so you can try and get out of the way, or off the X.

·
Registered
2022 Charger Redeye
547 Posts

So please let me know the pros and cons of putting it into N for the 45-60 sec of a long red.

Thanks!

(Edit: Orig post was missing the "6" of 60sec.)
I leave it in D and I’ll tell you why. I got an SRT8 when they first came out. One day it would not come out of P. Really threw this old mechanical guy for a loop. Turns out there was a known issue with a little plastic part in the shifting mechanism that would fail and you couldn’t get your car out of park. A $2 fix but could you imagine being at a red light not being able to take your car out of park? I just don’t take that chance. Hope this helps 🤷‍♂️

1 - 20 of 88 Posts