SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Durango Hellcat
139 Posts
OP has 2800 posts..

@DangCat must be a blast at parties.😇😇😇
Guess I didn’t see that! Oh well! Still, seemed weird question to ask but, 1 post made sense…not much coming out of Dodge lately.

Sometimes I shift to park, never heard of anyone with a problem with a car doing what is supposed to do.

Party On!

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Didn't care much for paddles or the "manual shift" option so just use in Auto. Stick I would throw in neutral at long lights for the clutch depressing reason. Only at train crossings (there are a lot around here) do I throw in park as it can take several minutes for the freight trains to pass.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For long lights or trains, I'll put it in neutral. I feel, in my brain, that it takes stress off car not having to hold the brake to keep back the horses.

Reactions: 2ndAmend

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have read (decades ago) that if you are stuck in traffic you should put the car into N or P. When I got the RE, sometimes when I just hit the beginning of a long red I would pop it into N.

Last time at the dealer I asked and the tech and Serv Mgr what is best to do at a long red, both said leave it in D.

I am a hard core M guy and most of my A driving experience is with my truck, I don’t even know how the frekin’ things work.

So please let me know the pros and cons of putting it into N for the 45-60 sec of a long red.

Thanks!

(Edit: Orig post was missing the "6" of 60sec.)
Always remain in "D"- Can't afford the extra fuel consumption at the higher idle in "P" or "N!"

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Have a lot of you guys owned both a Charger and Challenger?
I had a Scat Charger and have a Hellcat Challenger.
They definitely shift differently.
Reminds me of a funny thing, the RE seems to shift better in D with the a/c on.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Idk about that but charger is completely different car and platform I really like them tbh
I know. I love both cars. My Hellcat Challenger shifting during normal cruising isn’t too bad, it just shifts hard sometimes and too soon.
But obviously when I smash on the peddle it shifts great. That’s what these Hellcats are made for anyways. Lol. And the car is still breaking in. It learns from the way we drive it.

I might buy another Charger. Used. I Kinda regret selling my ‘19 Scat Charger. They have a luxury car feeling with muscle car power. I sold it a year ago when the low mile, excellent condition used cars prices skyrocketed and upgraded to my Hellcat.
I mentioned a few times already and I’ll say again, I got it up to 171 mph. lol
I Don’t mean to get off topic but there’s no surface rust like we see on some of the new Dodges. (no biggie and easy to fix)
Here’s Couple pics. 8500 miles were on it when I sold it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Motor vehicle White Light Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Hellcat Widebody (destroyer grey)
489 Posts
Engine gonna idle how engine gonna idle. Leave in D
True but the load on the engine sitting in P may burn more fuel. While driving my Acura MDX as the daily, I always throw it in neutral and coast when coming to lights or anything that has me slowing down for a bit. Then I'll throw it back in D once ready to go or proceed at the new lower speed. Having done this for many years now, I have noticed that the MDX gets about 20 mpg all around driving. Before ever doing this, it used to get about 17-18, so it must help on gas mileage some.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts