SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I connect with a member here and he has a 370 diff that was removed from his m6 when it was practically brand new. He had bought a 390 diff and had a shop install it back in 2016. Great, I wanna try 370 combo with my Mickey’s cuz they are a lil tall for my gutless a8 shaker. (Currently 1.6 sixty, high 4 second 330). Dude wouldn’t ship diff and lives 450 miles north of me. Left HB at 1 am and drove all night so I could arrive by 8, fun

Motor vehicle Computer keyboard Gas Engineering Machine
Head Automotive lighting Jaw Wood Road surface

Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Wood

Dudes house was next to the bay and the diff looks like it sat in the sand/water for a while before being put in a open plastic bin and stored under his house. For 5 years. It had plugs in the axle seals (thank god) but the vent bung was not capped for any of that : (

After driving all night I wasn’t gonna turn around and leave empty handed so I bought it anyways. What do you think the odds are that the moisture didn’t destroy the bearings and or the clutches???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not a good situation, ive been in similar ones myself.

Its easy to monday morning quarterback this one but in the future absolutely have detailed pics sent beforehand.

At the same time the seller did you wrong by not accurately describing the diff before you spent the time, effort and money pick it up.

Sorry this happened to you. I would be very dissatisfied with the seller.

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
2,822 Posts
If there is moisture inside, there is a good chance it did not do much or any damage. Sitting still, the moisture would only accumulate in the air pocket. I see the vent was not plugged, not good. The axle holes look plugged, good.

At this point I'd give the exterior a good wire brushing, maybe a sandblast (stay away from the seals). Change the fluid and let the old fluid sit in a glass container and look for separation. Then just drive it, not much else you can do at this point. Should have asked for pics. Let us know how it goes.

Who takes care of their stuff like that?!?!?:mad: Good thing you didn't buy his car!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
So 900 miles, your time, money, and more time…you actually bought this after a guy took it off and tossed in the mud then you post a pic! Holy shit! I’ve got some prime property in the Everglades if you are interested.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,324 Posts
Frankly, I would have just turned around and drove home. Hopefully it works out, but I never would have bought it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Damn, that's pretty rough. I've got a 3.70 in storage I recently took off too. I put it back in the box the new unit came in and still even have the crate it shipped on. Shipper damaged the crate and box a bit but still kept it. I guess I'm just overly anal.

Anything that comes off the car goes back in the aftermarket box and goes on a shelf.

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took a wire brush on a dewalt to it (and some other stuff) and it’s as good as I care to get the outside. Was drained before removed from car. Water n oil don’t mix anyways so I didn’t understand that suggestion about letting the oil sit. All I am concerned about are the bearings and the clutches. Could open it up but no experience so guess I’ll just install it when I can and see what happens. Like @White Trash said, “let ‘er rip”

·
Registered
2016 hellcat challenger 6 speed
165 Posts
Took a wire brush on a dewalt to it (and some other stuff) and it’s as good as I care to get the outside. Was drained before removed from car. Water n oil don’t mix anyways so I didn’t understand that suggestion about letting the oil sit. All I am concerned about are the bearings and the clutches. Could open it up but no experience so guess I’ll just install it when I can and see what happens. Like @White Trash said, “let ‘er rip”
you can take off the case and look at it, just need to refill any fluid thats missing. Maybe take some pics for the forum?

·
Registered
‘16 A8 Shaker
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m not gonna split the case halves. I believe these ZF rear ends are like our transmissions, aren’t they? Where you can’t buy any replacement parts, only a entire new unit.

·
Premium Member
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
2,822 Posts
You let the oil sit so see if water and particles separate, just to know what's in there. Not good that the oil was drained. At this point, maybe just run it and see what happens, maybe flush the internals with gas in case there is some crud in there.

Maybe drain the oil at 1k miles and see if it contains fine particles (separate again) that might be from surface corrosion of the internals. What do you have to lose at this point? Let us know.

Do you have access to a fiber optic camera?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
So I connect with a member here and he has a 370 diff that was removed from his m6 when it was practically brand new. He had bought a 390 diff and had a shop install it back in 2016. Great, I wanna try 370 combo with my Mickey’s cuz they are a lil tall for my gutless a8 shaker. (Currently 1.6 sixty, high 4 second 330). Dude wouldn’t ship diff and lives 450 miles north of me. Left HB at 1 am and drove all night so I could arrive by 8, fun

View attachment 600310 View attachment 600311
View attachment 600312

Dudes house was next to the bay and the diff looks like it sat in the sand/water for a while before being put in a open plastic bin and stored under his house. For 5 years. It had plugs in the axle seals (thank god) but the vent bung was not capped for any of that : (

After driving all night I wasn’t gonna turn around and leave empty handed so I bought it anyways. What do you think the odds are that the moisture didn’t destroy the bearings and or the clutches???
Lmfao no way! Dude, trade me your 3.09 flat out, I’ll trade ya mine. Just pay for shipping, sound good?

·
BMF
4,782 Posts
Op
Run it
Don’t listen to the Peanut Gallery

1 - 20 of 28 Posts