SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just tried Ethos Iron Decon v2 wheel cleaner. Did a good job cleaning my wheels before I graphene coated them. Cleaned the barrels so well that I was able to see the witness marks from the grease pens they use at the factory. Smells pretty good too. But hopefully with the graphene coating and new Powerstop Z26 pads, I'll have less dust and only need to use the soap and water in the bucket while washing the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat
1,368 Posts
Curious to know what are some good spray on wheel cleaners you guys are currently using and recommend?

I've tried poor boys and it wasn't bad but looking for something a bit better?
This is the best one I've used so long as you follow the instructions. If you don't spray it off in under 30 seconds, it leaves a film on the wheel that you will have to then rub off with elbow grease.

Now, one caveat here. I firmly believe NONE of the spray cleaners work well if you don't precoat the wheels with some type of treatment first. I use CG Jet Seal Matte on my wheels. It lasts for 10 or so washes (around 5-6 months) and keeps most everything from sticking to them. When I spray the Meguiar's cleaner on the wheel, I spray it off shortly thereafter and I never have to bend over to touch my wheels to clean them.

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
125 Posts
Curious to know what are some good spray on wheel cleaners you guys are currently using and recommend?

Just gonna be honest. Dawn dish soap is crazy good. I use it all the time. No need for pricey wheel cleaner when you have the perfect cleaner on your kitchen sink.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
996 Posts
After a good wash with Chemical Guys snow foam I apply this to the wheels and calipers about once a month:

I just go over the wheels with the matching spray detailer if I need to do a touch up. My wheels don't get really dirty unless I am racing since I compression brake a lot.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
115 Posts
After using numerous products Adams, McGuire etc.My friend let me try some of his Beasleys. Its now my favorite.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Appreciate all the suggestions. I'll look into some of the wheel cleaners you guys posted. Also for what it's worth maybe it might be safer to go old school and use the soap and water method especially since I just got some brand new reps in the rear of the car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
27 Posts

Griots Garage wheel cleaner so far the best I’ve used ever. Use as directed, the heavy duty one turns color when ready to rinse, works well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Appreciate all the suggestions. I'll look into some of the wheel cleaners you guys posted. Also for what it's worth maybe it might be safer to go old school and use the soap and water method especially since I just got some brand new reps in the rear of the car.
Hey man, for what it’s worth , I started a post just like the one you did back in December because I tried using soap and water and it will take you a very long time and a lot of elbow grease to get your front wheels clean as well as your back. So if you’re into spending a lot of time cleaning your wheels for hours then go for it. After doing my post I tried Sonax wheel cleaner and Jack’s wax wheel cleaner and they both worked like a charm. I was able to clean my wheels and tires, all four , in about 15 minutes. It literally melts the brake dust off and if you have a good set of brushes are well woollies that helps too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think people are missing the point in some of the posts here. Sure you can use soap and water on wheels where the car has very little metallic brake content. However, with the Brembos on these cars, you have a ton of brake dust and metallic content which WILL IMBED into the surface of the wheel. Soap and water WILL NOT REMOVE that!!!!!! You need to use some of the cleaners mentioned in the previous posts (Meguiars, Adams, Sonax) every so often to help remove those contaminants. One I have had success with is Meguiars Ultimate Wheel. I will use that about every third or fourth wash along with a number of brushes and implements to get the wheels as clean as they can get without taking them off the car. The other times, I use an alkaline cleaner called P&S Brake Buster diluted 5:1 in a foaming pump sprayer. It is non acid and works very well to cut down the brake dust and grime. Trust me, soap and water is okay from time to time, but if you only use soap and water, the metallic content is going to adhere to the wheel and it won’t do you any favors in the long haul. I’ve detailed many a BMW with BLACK spots all over the wheels which eat through the clear and there’s no solution other than refinishing the wheel.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I think people are missing the point in some of the posts here. Sure you can use soap and water on wheels where the car has very little metallic brake content. However, with the Brembos on these cars, you have a ton of brake dust and metallic content which WILL IMBED into the surface of the wheel. Soap and water WILL NOT REMOVE that!!!!!! You need to use some of the cleaners mentioned in the previous posts (Meguiars, Adams, Sonax) every so often to help remove those contaminants. One I have had success with is Meguiars Ultimate Wheel. I will use that about every third or fourth wash along with a number of brushes and implements to get the wheels as clean as they can get without taking them off the car. The other times, I use an alkaline cleaner called P&S Brake Buster diluted 5:1 in a foaming pump sprayer. It is non acid and works very well to cut down the brake dust and grime. Trust me, soap and water is okay from time to time, but if you only use soap and water, the metallic content is going to adhere to the wheel and it won’t do you any favors in the long haul. I’ve detailed many a BMW with BLACK spots all over the wheels which eat through the clear and there’s no solution other than refinishing the wheel.
MOPAR, the ones who designed the wheel recommend soap and water. Care to explain why?

·
Registered
181 Posts
MOPAR, the ones who designed the wheel recommend soap and water. Care to explain why?
They may recommend it but they also have people who all they do is r&d and have time to wash a wheel for hours. Sorry but not me- besides, not everything Mopars says is the Bible- there are better safe ways to tackle things which is why there is a R&D dept. not trying to be argumentative but most of us in here do our R&d and try different things to find what works best for each.

·
Registered
317 Posts
They may recommend it but they also have people who all they do is r&d and have time to wash a wheel for hours. Sorry but not me- besides, not everything Mopars says is the Bible- there are better safe ways to tackle things which is why there is a R&D dept. not trying to be argumentative but most of us in here do our R&d and try different things to find what works best for each.
Im not been argumentative. Im just stating a simple fact. The guys who happened to design the wheels, that chose their finish, recommend good old soap and water. Sometimes the simplest solutions happen to work perfectly well. A lot of those cleaners may do the job too.....but I bet they cost a bit more than soap and water. Ive tried a LOT of them through the years and honestly I believe MOPAR got this one right.

Soap and water and a bit of elbow grease while listening to some tunes....

20210327_173700 by Oscar Baez Soria, on Flickr

Look fine to me. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
38 Posts
My explanation is pretty simple. Metallic brake content, which our cars have a lot of, lands on the clear coat of the wheels every time you stop. It is attaching, imbedding, and eating away at the clear coat as it builds up. Soap and water can only remove the surface layer of brake dust. The remaining particles will still be there. Ever run your hand across paint of a car where the person has only “washed it”? It’s rougher than a night in jail. Clay bars were designed to remove similar contamination or that roughness you feel on paint. However, the wheels are in much closer contact to the sources of contamination, in this case, rotors and pads. Trust me, you are better off going with a scientific approach. Soap and water is okay. But it doesn’t take care of the contamination. If you wanted to clay your wheels after washing them with soap and water, you could probably remove a decent amount of build up. But why go through all that when chemicals are so far advanced these days. And you can always rinse the wheel first to dilute the chemical. I would also stay away from acid based wheel cleaners. Everything I’ve mentioned is non acid.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey Chaman- sorry boss but we will agree to disagree. I don’t care to spend an afternoon washing four wheels. I want to spend more driving than laboring , but I do get what your saying.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Actually yes- the first time I washed the wheels I spent three freaking hours on four wheels using a good soap and water with elbow grease and a hose. I’m sure the variable for you that makes the difference is the pressure washer which I don’t have. My sonnax vs your pressure washer LOL. Touché

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hey man, for what it’s worth , I started a post just like the one you did back in December because I tried using soap and water and it will take you a very long time and a lot of elbow grease to get your front wheels clean as well as your back. So if you’re into spending a lot of time cleaning your wheels for hours then go for it. After doing my post I tried Sonax wheel cleaner and Jack’s wax wheel cleaner and they both worked like a charm. I was able to clean my wheels and tires, all four , in about 15 minutes. It literally melts the brake dust off and if you have a good set of brushes are well woollies that helps too.

Appreciate this my man. Fist bump I will look into those wheel cleaners you suggested. I think I have heard quite a bit about Sonax being a top product as well.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
My explanation is pretty simple. Metallic brake content, which our cars have a lot of, lands on the clear coat of the wheels every time you stop. It is attaching, imbedding, and eating away at the clear coat as it builds up. Soap and water can only remove the surface layer of brake dust. The remaining particles will still be there. Ever run your hand across paint of a car where the person has only “washed it”? It’s rougher than a night in jail. Clay bars were designed to remove similar contamination or that roughness you feel on paint. However, the wheels are in much closer contact to the sources of contamination, in this case, rotors and pads. Trust me, you are better off going with a scientific approach. Soap and water is okay. But it doesn’t take care of the contamination. If you wanted to clay your wheels after washing them with soap and water, you could probably remove a decent amount of build up. But why go through all that when chemicals are so far advanced these days. And you can always rinse the wheel first to dilute the chemical. I would also stay away from acid based wheel cleaners. Everything I’ve mentioned is non acid.

You definitely know your stuff. I'm all ears when you speak.(y)

21 - 40 of 54 Posts