SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
You definitely know your stuff. I'm all ears when you speak.(y)
Thanks for your comment. Man I’ve cleaned so many wheels and tires it has become an obsession. I’ve honestly never owned a car with half as much brake dust as the Hellcat has. There is a definite trade off. These cars have some of the best brakes in the world, but you pay for it in the form of how much they dust. I hated it at first but now that I have the specific cleaners and tools to do the job for this car, it is actually fun to do. I plan to eventually take the wheels off and give them a ceramic coating one day. Just been too busy detailing everybody else’s cars to spend time on my own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
POORBOYS WHEEL CLEANER
Wet wheels with water, spray on, wait 30 seconds and rinse off with a strong stream. Done!

They have gallon refills for the sprayer too.

AmazonSmile: Poorboy's World Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner 32 oz: Automotive
That is Acid based. You are risking damage to the wheels using cleaners with acid formulations. I would not use that unless my wheels were absolutely trashed beyond belief. That would be the only reason to step up to that level of chemical in my opinion. Least aggressive method first. And actually I do subscribe to soap and water when the wheels aren’t too dirty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is Acid based. You are risking damage to the wheels using cleaners with acid formulations. I would not use that unless my wheels were absolutely trashed beyond belief. That would be the only reason to step up to that level of chemical in my opinion. Least aggressive method first. And actually I do subscribe to soap and water when the wheels aren’t too dirty.
I've used PoorBoys for 4 years with no issues

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've used PoorBoys for 4 years with no issues
Never said you had any issues. Just making sure to call out it is acid based. Acid based is chemically very harsh on surfaces. That’s why they recommend rinsing the wheel. And also why you can use non agitation. For anyone who isn’t worried of potential damage to the clear coat on the wheel and caliper, by all means go for it. Is an acid based cleaner with no touch method going to out perform soap and water with agitation or alkaline cleaner with agitation? I don’t believe it will. There is no way to get into all the areas of the wheel without some form of contact from a wash media or brush. For instance, behind the spokes. Granted, time wise, you will spend much more time with those two methods. So it’s really a matter of choice for everyone. Do you want the wheels 80% clean with little work and the bigger potential to cause damage or do you want them 90-95% clean with less risk for damage but more time invested? I take the latter approach but I see why someone would opt for the easy button.

·
Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
1,586 Posts
Thanks for your comment. Man I’ve cleaned so many wheels and tires it has become an obsession. I’ve honestly never owned a car with half as much brake dust as the Hellcat has. There is a definite trade off. These cars have some of the best brakes in the world, but you pay for it in the form of how much they dust. I hated it at first but now that I have the specific cleaners and tools to do the job for this car, it is actually fun to do. I plan to eventually take the wheels off and give them a ceramic coating one day. Just been too busy detailing everybody else’s cars to spend time on my own.
Get rid of the front Brembo pads, they are crap for dust!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Get rid of the front Brembo pads, they are crap for dust!
That is true but I just love the way they work. I’m sure there are decent alternatives but do they offer the same level of performance? The dusting from what I’ve been told is a side effect the ability of the pad to quickly shed heat and remain fade free. I could just be extremely uneducated on brake pad material so if I am feel free to educate me. I don’t want to turn this discussion into something it wasn’t intended to be. Most people will likely stick with the stock pads I would venture to guess so for those people, all the methods being discussed are relevant. But the alternative for lower dusting pads is definitely a great point. That means less time having to maintain the wheel.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
That is true but I just love the way they work. I’m sure there are decent alternatives but do they offer the same level of performance? The dusting from what I’ve been told is a side effect the ability of the pad to quickly shed heat and remain fade free. I could just be extremely uneducated on brake pad material so if I am feel free to educate me. I don’t want to turn this discussion into something it wasn’t intended to be. Most people will likely stick with the stock pads I would venture to guess so for those people, all the methods being discussed are relevant. But the alternative for lower dusting pads is definitely a great point. That means less time having to maintain the wheel.

I believe there are other good pads such as Hawks, Carbotech, and stop tech that I have heard that may match up to the level of braking performance on these cars with little to no dust. I’m not 100% sure if it’s true. There are also z26 pads that dust very little if any but won’t bite as hard as the OEMs.

For what it’s worth sticking with the stock pads just might be the way to go. They were best designed for the car ultimately. In real life situations there may be incidents on the street where you need the most stopping power. Honestly I’ll take some dust and noise for the most stopping power any day.

I wonder if ceramic coating the wheels and calipers will prevent less dust from building up?? :unsure:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ceramic coating will make the contact angle and surface tension change which is where the dust should stick less. The main magic is how easy ceramic coating makes them to clean. I have the paint coated and it’s soooooo easy to clean. Dirt just melts off the car. I want to get those portable car lifts for my detailing to make polishing the lower portions easier and I can take the wheels off quickly. Then I’ll coat the wheel barrels and the faces👍

Thanks for the info on the pad options!

·
Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
1,586 Posts
Amazon for the oil. Did anyone mention "Ceramic Pads" wheel cleaner????????????? 😁

41 - 54 of 54 Posts