SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have Falken azenis fk510 tires that came with the car and can dead hook around 50ish mph and no lower when tires are warm. I'm curious to know if I'm able to hook at a much lower speed with 555r2s with a stock Hellcat and what's the lowest speed you guys can hook while flooring it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Depends on weather conditions air temp and ground temp, I'm not sure how much better the R2's are compared to the regular R's (which is what I have) but I'm able to hook in most conditions at about 30mph. Anything under and I seem to get some hop before it hooks up but the car will be night and day difference with the DR's.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on weather conditions air temp and ground temp, I'm not sure how much better the R2's are compared to the regular R's (which is what I have) but I'm able to hook in most conditions at about 30mph. Anything under and I seem to get some hop before it hooks up but the car will be night and day difference with the DR's.

30 mph isn't too bad. I'm assuming below that your spinning or hoping as you mentioned. Have you tried a 20 roll if so does it recover quickly and hook? Are you on stock tire size 555rs?

·
Registered
16 Posts
30 mph isn't too bad. I'm assuming below that your spinning or hoping as you mentioned. Have you tried a 20 roll if so does it recover quickly and hook? Are you on stock tire size 555rs?
Yes it’ll start to break up and wheel hop. Recovery isn’t bad itll hook when it shifts. I’m 100% stock with stock size tires as well. It’ll be completely different than your street tire set up now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye NB in Hellraisin
228 Posts
Yes it’ll start to break up and wheel hop. Recovery isn’t bad itll hook when it shifts. I’m 100% stock with stock size tires as well. It’ll be completely different than your street tire set up now.

This corrected my wheel hop.

·
Registered
2020 Hellcat Redeye NB in Hellraisin
228 Posts
Tire temp and tire pressure also. I’m happy with the RII

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tire temp and tire pressure also. I’m happy with the RII

Nice I'm assuming your hooking no better than 30 mph and above as well? Could be slight differences for everyone depending on a few factors mentioned I'm sure but I'm guessing same ballpark?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm sure slapping a set of 10.5 replicas with some 305 555r2s will be a world of a difference when I add them to the car. No more driving with an egg under my foot
fingers crossed

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
787 Posts
Do you already have the nittos? I run a pair of Michelin ps4's in a 305 and in a stick car they stick at 25mph in 1st mashing it with TC off

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you already have the nittos? I run a pair of Michelin ps4's in a 305 and in a stick car they stick at 25mph in 1st mashing it with TC off

No I don't have the Nittos yet but I'm actually impressed your hooking that low with the ps4s especially with the TC off. That's nearly drag radial hooking. I wonder if anyone else hooks that well with the ps4s. I think your the only one I heard of hooking that good with them. Though it seems like everyone has different experiences with which tires hooks best for them even if there all stock Cats.

As good as the ps4s sounds from what your telling me it's tempting to try but want to hook down low on the street so much I might try the nitto drag radial first for assurance.

Is your cat stock as well?

·
Registered
787 Posts
No I don't have the Nittos yet but I'm actually impressed your hooking that low with the ps4s especially with the TC off. That's nearly drag radial hooking. I wonder if anyone else hooks that well with the ps4s. I think your the only one I heard of hooking that good with them. Though it seems like everyone has different experiences with which tires hooks best for them even if there all stock Cats.

As good as the ps4s sounds from what your telling me it's tempting to try but want to hook down low on the street so much I might try the nitto drag radial first for assurance.

Is your cat stock as well?
Yes just a shifter.

Was going to run radial but a buddy with a 700whp shelby never spun with the ps4 and burned radials up quick so i figured give them a shot.

They will hop bad if cold so get a diff brace

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes just a shifter.

Was going to run radial but a buddy with a 700whp shelby never spun with the ps4 and burned radials up quick so i figured give them a shot.

They will hop bad if cold so get a diff brace

That's pretty good. I believe I was comparing them to the Conti ECS tires a while ago and the contis seemed to be a few lbs lighter per tire while having nearly as much performance of the Michelins. I have a relative with a stock LS3 c6 vette with the conti ecs tires and can mash the pedal from a dig and dead hook. Given the fact that the vette is stock at 430 Hp while our cats are 700 hp plus I'm not sure if the contis would hold up on that much power. I thought nothing but a drag radial would put the power to the ground with these cars.

Since you and your buddy have experienced good traction with the ps4s I might look into it. I was concerned with drag radials not lasting long but if I get at least 6-8 k miles I think that's decent. I think the weight of the Michelins kinda bothered me though being that there heavier.

Have you ever tried the conti ecs tires before? Also I'm assuming a diff brace protects the differential? What else does it do and what's the cost on them? Sorry noob question lol.

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's pretty good. I believe I was comparing them to the Conti ECS tires a while ago and the contis seemed to be a few lbs lighter per tire while having nearly as much performance of the Michelins. I have a relative with a stock LS3 c6 vette with the conti ecs tires and can mash the pedal from a dig and dead hook. Given the fact that the vette is stock at 430 Hp while our cats are 700 hp plus I'm not sure if the contis would hold up on that much power. I thought nothing but a drag radial would put the power to the ground with these cars.

Since you and your buddy have experienced good traction with the ps4s I might look into it. I was concerned with drag radials not lasting long but if I get at least 6-8 k miles I think that's decent. I think the weight of the Michelins kinda bothered me though being that there heavier.

Have you ever tried the conti ecs tires before? Also I'm assuming a diff brace protects the differential? What else does it do and what's the cost on them? Sorry noob question lol.
I had Continental extreme contacts on my 2012 Shelby and they were fine when it was stock at 550 crank hp, but I eventually did pullies and added stuff and after that it made close to 600whp, at that point they were meh but also only a 275width still because stock Shelby wheel width was either 9 or 9.5 I cant remember.

I think the fact that the vette is way lighter in the rear and making less power is a decent comparison but having used them myself I can promise they're the best bang for your buck. I've tried them all.

John had 305 mickeys but in a 20" wheel and he burned them up in literally 5 weeks of decent driving/racing. He does a lot of rolling burnouts to get them warm before a dig or roll so that longevity might be a bit biased but they still underperformed. Once they were long gone he grabbed a set of the ps4s in a slightly larger than stock size and when we raced I would spin (stock pzero in 275s) and he would just walk away from me. I got a set against everyones warning about high speed wobble and a 305 being "too large" for a stock hellcat wheel, and I havent had a single issue. I air them up a bit higher than normal, and have done a lot of dumb shit with them like burnouts and donuts and they still look new and had minimal wear on the rubber. Grooves are still super deep and they feel great.

The diff brace will just save your entire rear system from rattling to hell once you hop. I found that in decent 60ish weather if I'm on a clean road and try to get on it in 1st it'll either hop, or spin like crazy at first. After a quick rolling burnout to clean them off they dead hook every time. I got one offline (I forget where) for like $250 form TBA Machine. The P4D is the best one but I only saw that they really work well if you're making more power than stock, otherwise the TBA one is fine. It just bolts the Differential housing to the rear subframe and doesn't' allow it to move/flex under axle wheel shock from hop. link: TBA Billet Hellcat Diff Brace – Dusterhoff Tuning

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's good to know since I was debating on those for the rears.
Nitto tend to run skinny so they might be best depending on what you're looking to do. When I race its always a roll because street tires and stick car with equal HP and TQ numbers is gonna need a whole lot of prep to get sticky.

I drive my car to work a lot to Baltimore and sometimes when 95 gets busy I start to make my way through traffic rapidly, these 305's still allow me to do that. The Nitto's aren't bad (the 555r's, haven't ran the 2nd gen r2s. NT05rs need to be burned and deleted from existence) but I wouldn't go swerving in traffic on a radial, plus I drove the PS4 in snow the other day and they were fine, if it drizzles rain and you're on a radial you're either going 10mph home or not moving til its clear out.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had Continental extreme contacts on my 2012 Shelby and they were fine when it was stock at 550 crank hp, but I eventually did pullies and added stuff and after that it made close to 600whp, at that point they were meh but also only a 275width still because stock Shelby wheel width was either 9 or 9.5 I cant remember.

I think the fact that the vette is way lighter in the rear and making less power is a decent comparison but having used them myself I can promise they're the best bang for your buck. I've tried them all.

John had 305 mickeys but in a 20" wheel and he burned them up in literally 5 weeks of decent driving/racing. He does a lot of rolling burnouts to get them warm before a dig or roll so that longevity might be a bit biased but they still underperformed. Once they were long gone he grabbed a set of the ps4s in a slightly larger than stock size and when we raced I would spin (stock pzero in 275s) and he would just walk away from me. I got a set against everyones warning about high speed wobble and a 305 being "too large" for a stock hellcat wheel, and I havent had a single issue. I air them up a bit higher than normal, and have done a lot of dumb shit with them like burnouts and donuts and they still look new and had minimal wear on the rubber. Grooves are still super deep and they feel great.

The diff brace will just save your entire rear system from rattling to hell once you hop. I found that in decent 60ish weather if I'm on a clean road and try to get on it in 1st it'll either hop, or spin like crazy at first. After a quick rolling burnout to clean them off they dead hook every time. I got one offline (I forget where) for like $250 form TBA Machine. The P4D is the best one but I only saw that they really work well if you're making more power than stock, otherwise the TBA one is fine. It just bolts the Differential housing to the rear subframe and doesn't' allow it to move/flex under axle wheel shock from hop. link: TBA Billet Hellcat Diff Brace – Dusterhoff Tuning

Thanks for sharing this info buddy.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nitto tend to run skinny so they might be best depending on what you're looking to do. When I race its always a roll because street tires and stick car with equal HP and TQ numbers is gonna need a whole lot of prep to get sticky.

I drive my car to work a lot to Baltimore and sometimes when 95 gets busy I start to make my way through traffic rapidly, these 305's still allow me to do that. The Nitto's aren't bad (the 555r's, haven't ran the 2nd gen r2s. NT05rs need to be burned and deleted from existence) but I wouldn't go swerving in traffic on a radial, plus I drove the PS4 in snow the other day and they were fine, if it drizzles rain and you're on a radial you're either going 10mph home or not moving til its clear out.

Dam seems like ps4s is the way to go lol. Did you have the 555r on the Cat or a different car? Would like to know how the michelins compared to the 555r on the Cat as far as traction? Was the 555r no better than the ps4s traction wise? Do the 555r hook any lower than 25 mph in first gear as compared to your ps4s or they both pretty much hook the same there?

How many miles did you average on a set of 555r and the ps4s? Also curious to know why you dislike the NTO5Rs as I was considering them one day as well after the 555R2. Sorry for all the questions I'm currently shopping for tires as I need a set and want to make the right choice before purchasing. I'm also gonna get some 10.5 replicas to fit 305s for the rear.

·
Registered
385 Posts
haven't tried the NT555R2s but I did have a set of NT555Rs just put on R888Rs in 305 and its crazy how much grip you get never going to go with anything els if I can help it their just that good. Dead ass hooks at any speed I haven't tried them from a complete dead stop yet but I imagine it will be hook city. 🤙

1 - 20 of 35 Posts