SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, I'm curious to know which of the three TRACTION modes (Track, Sport, Street) you folks favor the most and why?

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,331 Posts
Street - For when you just wanna drive somewhere, works well in below average weather.

Sport - For when you wanna do a rolling burnout but don't want to spin sideways. I think it engages stability control and will cut power if the car gets sideways in a measure of G, but it'll let the wheels break loose as long as you want if you keep the car somewhat straight.

Track - For the track really, engages rear brakes and limits power by blipping it off and then back on. Causes wheels to stop spinning and then will regain momentum quickly. but really is only good for street racing when its super cold and you don't want to spin horribly, but limits power by a lot. Most good drivers at the track will have track suspension on but TC off because they'll have good warm tires.

I run sport on the default because It's the best for my style of driving. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,129 Posts
Ditto on STREET. Watching You Tube, I thought that SPORT killed everything, and track tightened up the yaw control so you wouldn't spin out on a track. Again, still learning about these.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Street - For when you just wanna drive somewhere, works well in below average weather.

Sport - For when you wanna do a rolling burnout but don't want to spin sideways. I think it engages stability control and will cut power if the car gets sideways in a measure of G, but it'll let the wheels break loose as long as you want if you keep the car somewhat straight.

Track - For the track really, engages rear brakes and limits power by blipping it off and then back on. Causes wheels to stop spinning and then will regain momentum quickly. but really is only good for street racing when its super cold and you don't want to spin horribly, but limits power by a lot. Most good drivers at the track will have track suspension on but TC off because they'll have good warm tires.

I run sport on the default because It's the best for my style of driving. Everyone is different.

From my understanding SPORT traction is best used for straight line racing and the computer doesn’t allow it to pull power in any straight pulls but it will keep you a little safer incase if the car goes sideways?

Also is it better to use SPORT traction when you have better stickier tires since sport can get the car a little loose with tires that are not so sticky potentially going sideways?

If I remember correctly TRACK traction is less protective when the car goes sideways but pulls power when slipping during straight line pulls?

I have tried all three traction modes at times and they all seemed to slip while STREET traction still slipped but seemed to be the most stable. SPORT traction seems to be unstable while the car can get sideways unless you let off the throttle then things will calm down and bring you back straight. I do believe running a sticky tire during sport and track traction modes is safer as you will grip better with those modes as it can be dangerous with a regular tire if I’m correct?

Driver involvement plays a role obviously but curious if all this sounds right.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger SRT Hellcat
951 Posts
I have gotten myself surprisingly out of shape leaving a corner on the street enough times in Sport traction mode with my all season Pirellis when I didn’t think I was even being all that aggressive that I stick with Street at all times now.

At half mile events and the drag strip, I’ve tried all three modes and felt like Sport was best at not pulling power and letting you rely your right foot do the job instead.

·
Registered
2016 Bright White Challenger
1,331 Posts
From my understanding SPORT traction is best used for straight line racing and the computer doesn’t allow it to pull power in any straight pulls but it will keep you a little safer incase if the car goes sideways?

Also is it better to use SPORT traction when you have better stickier tires since sport can get the car a little loose with tires that are not so sticky potentially going sideways?

If I remember correctly TRACK traction is less protective when the car goes sideways but pulls power when slipping during straight line pulls?

I have tried all three traction modes at times and they all seemed to slip while STREET traction still slipped but seemed to be the most stable. SPORT traction seems to be unstable while the car can get sideways unless you let off the throttle then things will calm down and bring you back straight. I do believe running a sticky tire during sport and track traction modes is safer as you will grip better with those modes as it can be dangerous with a regular tire if I’m correct?

Driver involvement plays a role obviously but curious if all this sounds right.

"If I remember correctly TRACK traction is less protective when the car goes sideways but pulls power when slipping during straight line pulls?"
Track is honestly a useless mode IMO, it kills too much performance and I think they designed it for a track only run where you want to stomp the pedal out of an apex. Any decent driver would have enough throttle control to cause Track to be useless. Sport is the best mode IMO because it has the least limitations on your driving, until the car senses you're about to really F up. Track is the most protective, only good for pulls when you're in rain or know you're going to spin.

"Also is it better to use SPORT traction when you have better stickier tires since sport can get the car a little loose with tires that are not so sticky potentially going sideways?"
I had the stock 275 P-zeros on my car, I could carry a burnout to 80mph and then bang to 3rd in sport, in street or track it wouldnt even allow me to pop the clutch and get the wheels spinning, it will immediately inhibit traction loss by blipping power, only difference is whether rear brakes engage or not. I did however one time start to spin badly in sport in rain, and once the car broke a 30º angle it locked up one wheel to prevent momentum from carrying around, I went back and saw the rubber on the ground.

"I have tried all three traction modes at times and they all seemed to slip while STREET traction still slipped but seemed to be the most stable. SPORT traction seems to be unstable while the car can get sideways unless you let off the throttle then things will calm down and bring you back straight. I do believe running a sticky tire during sport and track traction modes is safer as you will grip better with those modes as it can be dangerous with a regular tire if I’m correct?"
If you have a good tire on the car you don't want anything on, you WILL break something if you do a hard launch on a slick with a mode on. You don't want any driveline interference when using a drag tire because if you blip power and bring it back you're essentially rotating, stopping rotation, and rotating again your driveline and that's what snaps stuff. If its going to hook it will buckle the tires and thats where the shock will go.

Gotta think about it like a giant lego set, wherever the most pressure/force is, is where its likely going to break apart. If your tires didn't break loose you will have all that force from the friction they created just moved up further, differential, to the axles, then the driveshaft, carrier bearing if running stock shaft, and eventually the input shaft, if none of that breaks and you're in a stick car the clutch is going to take the abuse, if you're in an auto then your servos and gears are going to feel it. The force has go to somewhere it's not going to just disappear.

I think these cars with a pulley and tune make any mode besides TC useless because its just too much power/TQ to even know how to limit it. My buddy pullied his Shelby and his advancetrack (engages rear brakes) doesn't do shit anymore. He can throw all the way to 3rd while spinning with it on and then the service light comes on after lol

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Just like the title says, I'm curious to know which of the three TRACTION modes (Track, Sport, Street) you folks favor the most and why?
The default maximum-safety settings are what I use for traction and stability control.
It gives me a bit of extra time to get things back under control, with some help from some unknown German engineer. I do not want to experience this car getting squirrely and out of control.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The problem, in three simple words. Pirelli seemed to have gone out of their way to make lousy tires for the Hellcats, or so I have heard. Try some better tires, for your own safety.
I have a stack of PS4Ss waiting to go on once the weather straightens out here.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
540 Posts
Once my 1500 mile break-in is done, I'll be switching out of the Pirelli's at least in the rear.... but that also requires a different rim to go on so...lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
So at what point do the factory Pirellis (All Season) REALLY start to let go? I'm babying the car for now, so I haven't completely gotten into the throttle, but I've only had it get a little squirrely. Just wondering when lane changes and merging into traffic will be really eventful.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,475 Posts
So at what point do the factory Pirellis (All Season) REALLY start to let go? I'm babying the car for now, so I haven't completely gotten into the throttle, but I've only had it get a little squirrely. Just wondering when lane changes and merging into traffic will be really eventful.
You must be really babying it. Not much more my friend. Matter of fact if you have been that easy, stay in 500 hp mode because it is violent, especially with all season tires.

·
Registered
951 Posts
It shouldn’t ever be too crazy as long as you leave it in Street traction mode. Street lets you have some fun without getting in too much trouble. When you are in Sport, you better have it pointed in a straight line, however.

As far as when the all seasons will let go in Sport mode, good luck figuring that out. Road surface and temps play a big factor. You will soon learn what a crap tire it is for these cars. Just be careful in the meantime. You have been warned. Lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
I think I'm just being extra cautious because

A) I've seen what all the idiots can do in these cars, and because
2) I'm sure I'll get addicted - waking up in the middle of the night and fumbling for the red key as I head to the garage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been daily driving my car in sport, even in the rain. My car is a manual. When I use track mode the wheels slip especially easy so I wont be using that too often. The factory tires do slip way too easy so I "feather it" when I think its going to spin. I have already purchased 20x11 rear reps and will be getting Michelins. Oh and the why is because I enjoy driving the car NOT on normal mode.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,475 Posts
I think I'm just being extra cautious because

A) I've seen what all the idiots can do in these cars, and because
2) I'm sure I'll get addicted - waking up in the middle of the night and fumbling for the red key as I head to the garage.
We are not bullshizzing. You punch it appropriately and it will completely bust loose at about any sane speed, legal speeds for sure. Hold that traction control button to a chime for a few seconds first, then go and rip one.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6
21 Posts
I just put some 305 nitto 555rII on the rears, I comfortably drive in sport all the time now. With the pirellis I would rarely took it off street, it would spin without me even trying. It got to the point where it was plain scary to drive it sometimes lol. In sport with the new nittos I can floor it from a slow roll with minimal spinning, if I did that with the pirellis it wanted to go sideways. As most hellcat owners say, better rear tires make the world of difference.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
540 Posts
I just put some 305 nitto 555rII on the rears, I comfortably drive in sport all the time now. With the pirellis I would rarely took it off street, it would spin without me even trying. It got to the point where it was plain scary to drive it sometimes lol. In sport with the new nittos I can floor it from a slow roll with minimal spinning, if I did that with the pirellis it wanted to go sideways. As most hellcat owners say, better rear tires make the world of difference.
Honestly, I have to say, the dumbest part of these cars is that they're even sold with a 275 tire on them. It's practically criminal in my opinion.

Even the high end Mustangs and Camaros come with better options standard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts