SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which wheel is lighter on the 2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye, the Standard Carbon Black Lightweight Wheels or the Carbon Black Aluminum wheels. I would think that the aluminum wheels were better since they are $1295 extra. But these are the same wheels that come standard on the non-Redeye standard Hellcat. Which is actually lighter? Which is better?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
697 Posts
Well, better how? Forged is always stronger, even though there are a lot of cast wheels out there. Plus, forging costs more to make. Price has nothing to do with being "better" either. If wheels are truly lighter, that is a plus, but on cars that weight 3500# curb weight, 10# per wheel is insignificant.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
268 Posts
Without researching - I`m positive that all Hellcat wheels are forged wheels. Factory HC wheels are not "cast" wheels so structural strength in either wheel you choose is going to be same same - so there is no "better" to the equation. As far as which is lighter I`m sure you could go on some Mopar Parts websites and maybe find out but like baabootoo said unless your 1/4 mile track dedicated chasing the last 100th`s of a second get the whhels that are the best looking ones to you.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
697 Posts
What is? 10# on a 1000# of energy hitting a bump? On a 2000# car, "maybe", but almost 5000# with driver, meaningless. Air pressure will have more to do with that than wheel weight.

·
Registered
417 Posts
What is? 10# on a 1000# of energy hitting a bump? On a 2000# car, "maybe", but almost 5000# with driver, meaningless. Air pressure will have more to do with that than wheel weight.
The effects of rotational mass is different than sprung weight. 10# in reduced wheel/tire weight is actually pretty significant in the performance of the car and equates to almost 120# of sprung weight being removed. If that is 10#'s each for a total of 40# of rotational mass removed it would be like dropping over 400 pounds from the car. I'll let someone whom remembers how to do the math provide more details but trust me, you will feel a difference.

@Xylander as I think he actually knows how to do the actual math.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,877 Posts
If wheels are truly lighter, that is a plus, but on cars that weight 3500# curb weight, 10# per wheel is insignificant.
As others have pointed out, that's not any old 10 lbs. Unsprung and rotating mass is the very worst kind for performance.
I always prefer better handling, stopping, or acceleration.

Besides, I sure wish the Challenger was only 3,500 lbs. That would be great.

Reactions: snobrdrdan
1 - 11 of 11 Posts