SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have a 2019 Challenger Redeye that recently started making a whiny noise when I close the door with the window all the way up on the drivers side (passenger side operates normally with no sounds). As you know these are frame-less windows so they go up and down automatically with the door opening and closing. This only happens when closing the door and not when opening or rolling the window down regularly. Anyone know of this issue? Is the window motor going bad? I'm still under warranty so should I just go to the dealer and have them look at it?

Have a listen below, thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's the motor making the noise, the auto up limit sensor may not be telling it stop once the window is up after you close the door (has that slight extra up movement to seal to the doorframe) so it keeps trying to roll up window until it trips and shuts off.

Try opening and closing door with window halfway up and see what it does.
If you hear closely it makes the noise right before the window goes up and seals. It winds up and makes the noise then the window moves. Unfortunately might be the motor. No noise when the window is halfway down or when operated normally, just when closing door

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it's under warranty let the dealer fix it. If not, ignore it. I'd let the Service Mgr give it a listen. If it's under warranty, get it on the dealers record.

BTW: If it is warm and I want the window open, I always open it before shutting the door. I hate all this automatic crap.

Appreciate the info! I think I'm going to take it in to the dealer soon

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does it only happen when you have the air on while shutting the door or does it do it when you have the air off as well? My '19 Redeye never did it, but my new '21 SS has the same whistle and it only happens when I first shut the door with the air on before the window goes up. After the window goes up the whistle stops. I was thinking something was wrong with the air duct in the door.
I didn't think it had to do with the A/C on but it was worth a shot so I went down to the garage and tested it out with the car completely off and there was no noise whatsoever! Now I'm confused 😂 when I take the car out later this week I'll have a real test with and without A/C and with the car on. So it could be the vent in the door? hmmmmm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Sorry for the miss understanding, but I meant with any air on heat or a/c. My ordered '21 SS has done it since day 1 and the higher the fan speed the louder the whistle. My '19 Redeye never did it.
So strange! I'm going to take out and properly test it out later this week with different settings and see what I find

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I just had my '21 SS at the dealership to have my rear inner fenders replaced and I had them look into this for me as well. The response from the mechanic is, the window tint I have on the car is pressing down on a seal not allowing it to stay sealed when the window is down and that is why I hear the noise. This is my first time ever having window tint on a car, but I didn't think the tint was that thick that it would interfere with a seal while the window is down.

Hmmm my car has had window tint on it since new and it didn't start happening until recently. Also, it doesn't make the noise when the car is completely off which is strange. Makes me think its something with the air from the A/C system that blows in the door to defrost the window

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If it makes noise only when the car is on, it is airflow.
I just confirmed this. The higher the fan speed setting the louder the window is! When it’s off there’s no sound. So now I’m a little relieved it’s not the motor and it bothers me less. Still not sure about taking it to the dealer and having them take the door panel out and mess with it for that? I think I might let it be. What do you think?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts