SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car was built late Feb 2020, has 700 miles on it.
I realize its aluminum corrosion and normal but it is really thick on the diff and trans brace.
I am also sure it does not hurt anything but I am a total freak when it comes to my cars.
Some will scrub off with a towel, some will not.
Any ideas on how to remove it (without a wire wheel) and how to seal it so it does not come back.
Or should I just get over it?

Thanks for your time,
Varooom DSC01680.JPG

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,424 Posts
I think you would need to wire brush it and then clear coat it to prevent it coming back. But then when the differential fails they would probably void your warranty.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Spray it down with WD 40 once in a while, it won’t be shinny like it’s polished but it will keep the oxidation down

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
5,818 Posts
Mercruiser Corrosion Guard works great too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2fast4u

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,883 Posts
Some of my cars came with some kind of undercoating applied. Representative of what this looks like here is a pic of part of the bottom of the engine/oil sump plate of my 2008 Cayman S:

Cayman Rear 7.jpg

All the brown coating is some kind of undercoating/corrosion protection applied at the factory. All rear and front suspension hardware was "treated" with this stuff along with as pictured the engine, transmission.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
294 Posts
Looks like Cosmoleum

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
203 Posts
Its oxidation they all have it..especially if car was transported around winter time with brine on the roads etc.....carry on :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,883 Posts
Looks like Cosmoleum
I know "it" as "cosmoline" but maybe "cosmoleum" just a different name for the same thing.

Or not. I searched cosmoline and got lots of hits and all dealth with its corrossion protection or how to remove it -- I used diesel fuel to remove it from machine tools arriving from overseas -- but when I searched cosmoleum the first hit was this: "A Cosmoleum℠ is a celestial resting place for the symbolic distribution of cremation ashes."

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,021 Posts
Put a Dif. brace on and you won't see it. Unless you crawl under the car. Or blow up your Dif. and get a new one before the warranty runs out.;)

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
294 Posts
@Rockster..You are correct it is Cosmoline. I had a brain fart and couldn't think of it so I thought it was close..LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts