SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get a pulse about “ Daily drivers “ . I drive a decent amount (15-18k miles per year . I was curious to see how many of you guys have second cars that you drive around daily ? I worked out an incredibly cheap lease on a 21 Camry at the local Toyota dealership , so I figured that might be a good idea to get a second car for commuting . Based on the amount of mileage I drive per year , do you think it would be a good idea to get a second car ? I’m not worried about routine maintenance , but tires and brakes are wallet crushers . What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of tires and brakes ? Normal driving with the occasional romp ... 😈

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
1,700 Posts
I got 30k out of my HC A8 rotors, 50+ k out of the same brakes on my 392 M6 TA. I didnt own the HC for the first 10k so maybe they braked a lot harder, or the manual saved the brakes. dunno. Tires, prob 15-20k if you keep the spinning to a minimum.

I have a 140k 2009 Civic Si as a daily and Im driving about 20k a year.

Reactions: Bill the 'cat

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,542 Posts
You can buy a lot of brakes and tires for what you would spend for a 2nd car.

That said it has been my habit since 2002 to own two cars. A daily driver and a "fun" car. Currently I own a 2020 Mercedes Benz 126" Metris cargo van for my daily driver and a 2020 Scat Pack for my "fun" car.

The cargo van gets the call for grocery store runs and errands on days the weather is not Scat Pack on high performance tires friendly. The Scat Pack only comes out on good days.

When I owned my 2018 Hellcat my daily was a 2018 MINI JCW 2-door hatchback. I would have kept the JCW but there are no MINI dealers within 187 miles of my location and I just didn't want to deal with long distance servicing. There happens to be a highly regarded M-B dealer just 5 miles from where i live so I went with a M-B van. The highly regarded Dodge dealer is just across the street from the M-B dealer.

·
Premium Member
2021 widebody Redeye Pitch Black.
955 Posts
A daily beater is the best thing ever! I don't have to worry if it's dirty, salty etc. And no worry in parking lots. It keeps my Superduty in a climate controlled garage as well as the Hellcat when it gets here. I found an 08 Ford escape with a bad engine for $300. Dropped in a junkyard engine for $700 & I'm good to go!! A daily driver beater is the best to keep your "good" cars taken care of.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got 30k out of my HC A8 rotors, 50+ k out of the same brakes on my 392 M6 TA. I didnt own the HC for the first 10k so maybe they braked a lot harder, or the manual saved the brakes. dunno. Tires, prob 15-20k if you keep the spinning to a minimum.

I have a 140k 2009 Civic Si as a daily and Im driving about 20k a year.
Well at a $270 lease payment for 12 k per year it’s very tempting .. still weighing my options ..

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
84 Posts
Totally agree on a 2nd car if you can afford. Not sure what part of the country you live in, but I'm in the NE and like keeping the HC "warm in the winter". I already had a 2014 Camry when I picked up my HC in 2016, but it's been a great car with very low maintenance costs. I plan to drive it 10+ years.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
31 Posts
Just trying to get a pulse about “ Daily drivers “ . I drive a decent amount (15-18k miles per year . I was curious to see how many of you guys have second cars that you drive around daily ? I worked out an incredibly cheap lease on a 21 Camry at the local Toyota dealership , so I figured that might be a good idea to get a second car for commuting . Based on the amount of mileage I drive per year , do you think it would be a good idea to get a second car ? I’m not worried about routine maintenance , but tires and brakes are wallet crushers . What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of tires and brakes ? Normal driving with the occasional romp ... 😈
I daily drive an old, paid off Honda Accord to work. Love having something to wear out that I don’t worry about and then something exhilarating to drive on the weekend!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I totally agree with the daily driver concept. I drive a very low mile 2010 Lexus ES350. I take excellent care of all my cars, but I don't worry about door dings and everyday stuff that happens with the everyday driver. And fun days with the hellcat are looked forward to and enjoyed immensely :cool:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think a DD keeps your special car special.Ironic that my DD will be a HCDD whenever it gets here...but I have others to keep a 3 season rotation...

·
Registered
92 Posts
5th Gen Camaro 2SS has a roomy interior and trunk space. Gas mileage is decent. It's been my daily for three years now. Tires are cheap with the RS package.

Reactions: DevilsReject97

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye NB
519 Posts
I have an 07 Nissan Murano AWD for where I live.... it's not about MPG for me....just keeping the car from bad weather and having something to drive when I got to go the store...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
1,700 Posts
WHEN I live in a climate where they didnt salt and brine the fkin roads to death I'll drive the fun car considerably more. As it is, in the last 2 weeks Ive had to replace a windshield that got peppered by a salt/cinder truck and then cracked through two of the hits, and hit a pothole and ruined a nearly new tire. If that was the Challenger Id have had a stroke

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
How do you like the GT? My buddy said it was fun in the snow but a pig otherwise... It just seems like it would be underpowered...
The GT-AWD is a dog if you just get out of your Hell Kitty and jump into the GT, Mine and I would think all of the GT"s have a Sport Mode and that does make the car a bit more fun to drive, remember it's only 300hp and the Cat is 707.
I would take on any Hell Kitty in the snow with my GT-AWD:cool:

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Widebody Redeye
380 Posts

Power Wagon is my daily..... @ an awesome 10.4mpg !!!!! lol sadly my redeye displays a better mpg right now around 12. my wifes jeep srt is sitting around 10-12 as well, she for the most part only city drives but gets there quickly!

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
845 Posts
If your lifestyle and climate is compatible, maybe a 2nd car is unnecessary. Unfortunately most of us need to drive in snow, or pull a trailer, or park in a lot once in a while, and the 2nd car is a must. I would not do it just to save miles or gas money, hey, you bought the car to drive it, right? Then do it all you can! Life is short and a few extra miles will not significantly change the cost of ownership considering taxes, insurance, reg, place to keep it, etc., on both the HC AND beater. If you need a beater, get it! If not, drive and have fun! Also, do you really want to double maintenance if you don’t have to?

Between my wife and me, we have the truck, Wrangler and HC. Two 4dw’s, one convertible, and one animal.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts