SRT Hellcat Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
330 Posts
The disposition fee is $395 but the buy fee is only $350. I have the purchase quote from Chrysler Capital right in front of me. You are right about the title and registration fees though. Those fees are fairly negligible (less than $60). Virginia screws lessors by making them pay sales tax on the full purchase price of a leased vehicle. The only bright side is Virginia waves the sales tax if the original lessor purchases the vehicle at the end of the lease. The only stipulation is the lessor has to have paperwork showing they paid the sales tax on the original transaction. I have all of that.
if tannehill registered the car in the state I'm thinking of... not too far from va, then he paid sales tax(4.25%) on the price of the car when he leased it, only difference is that in this state you can roll it into your monthly.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,304 Posts
if tannehill registered the car in the state I'm thinking of... not too far from va, then he paid sales tax(4.25%) on the price of the car when he leased it, only difference is that in this state you can roll it into your monthly.
I was in MD then.

And in DE there is no sales tax, but when you buy or register a car you must pay a 4.25% "document fee" based on purchase price or used book value in addition to title/reg fees. DE unique way of not losing out on the large sales tax cheddar from car purchases. But yeah, it's basically a tax.

May of 2018 when we bought our Durango SRT we paid over $2600+ in sales tax to MD. Last August when we registered it in DE we paid another $2400+ to DE for.........yeah, no reason, just because that's the rule to register it. Free money to them, literally. Horseshit

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
330 Posts
I was in MD then.

And in DE there is no sales tax, but when you buy or register a car you must pay a 4.25% "document fee" based on purchase price or used book value in addition to title/reg fees. DE unique way of not losing out on the large sales tax cheddar from car purchases. But yeah, it's basically a tax.

May of 2018 when we bought our Durango SRT we paid over $2600+ in sales tax to MD. Last August when we registered it in DE we paid another $2400+ to DE for.........yeah, no reason, just because that's the rule to register it. Free money to them, literally. Horseshit
join the club, the "transfer tax" is obnoxious and so is 4.25% on the sales price, and what's worse is we have to pay a 2% usage tax fee on top of the monthly payment. Guess they gotta make the money back somewhere with no sales tax on store and online bought items.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
153 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up Tannehill, that was definitely ridiculous that they wouldn't accommodate you without a big argument, just because the website was down. I'm lucky in that the family that owns my local dealer have been in town forever, and are good, friendly people to work with.The downside is they don't do a ton of volume, so they definitely won't go as low as some of the volume dealers that are roughly an hour away, so it's hard to justify spending thousands more for the exact same thing just for that friendly interaction.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
2,137 Posts
To be 100% honest, I'm still not sure what I am going to do. Chrysler Financial called me yesterday and asked the same question. I told them I MAY turn the car in, so they scheduled an inspection for today. My car is near perfect and only has 16k miles. The inspection report came back fine except for the tires. The inspector dinged me for the front tires being too worn and for the rears being non-major brand.

My rear tires are new and have less than 1k miles on them. I put on Nitto drag radials after losing a tire to a pothole in November. I hated the Pirelli ice skates my car came with and thought the Nitto's might be more enjoyable for the last few months I had the car. For sure they are a 1000% improvement in traction.

My buyout is $44,899 plus the $350 turn in fee. I need to either buy the car out and sell it myself, or buy a set of Pirelli's and turn it in. I'm still on the fence.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think my car is worth as a private party sale? It's a 2016 Hellcat Charger in Graphite with 16k miles. It has leather, Alpine, sunroof, and red seat belts. No dings or scratches to really speak of.
I think for 45k for your low mile 16 Hellcat Charger for which you know it's history I'd buy it.. Anyway good luck on whatever you chose.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
9 Posts
To be 100% honest, I'm still not sure what I am going to do. Chrysler Financial called me yesterday and asked the same question. I told them I MAY turn the car in, so they scheduled an inspection for today. My car is near perfect and only has 16k miles. The inspection report came back fine except for the tires. The inspector dinged me for the front tires being too worn and for the rears being non-major brand.

My rear tires are new and have less than 1k miles on them. I put on Nitto drag radials after losing a tire to a pothole in November. I hated the Pirelli ice skates my car came with and thought the Nitto's might be more enjoyable for the last few months I had the car. For sure they are a 1000% improvement in traction.

My buyout is $44,899 plus the $350 turn in fee. I need to either buy the car out and sell it myself, or buy a set of Pirelli's and turn it in. I'm still on the fence.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys think my car is worth as a private party sale? It's a 2016 Hellcat Charger in Graphite with 16k miles. It has leather, Alpine, sunroof, and red seat belts. No dings or scratches to really speak of.
I'm in the same situation as you with Nitto Tires staggered larger in back than front. I was thinking about leasing a Durango SRT dodge has a $3500 incentive right now, but thinking I won't like it as much as the HC.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,304 Posts
So I was bored, been about a month since I turned in my lease. Just searched the VIN to see if I could find where it ended up.

Koons bought it at auction and already sold it!!

So, if anyone just bought a used, automatic, 2016 Challenger Hellcat in GoMango with carbon stripes, that was mine.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
After agonizing this decision for the past few weeks, I decided to let the car go. I'm buying it out for a friend who wants it. He's getting a better deal than he could find elsewhere on a car he knows the history on, and I don't have to eat the disposition fee. It's a win win for everyone.

Without question I will be regretting this decision by the end of the week (when my lease officially ends). My Charger has been flawless and got more thumbs up and head nods than all the other vehicles I've ever owned combined. It's just a cool car for the everyday dad. It's completely sinister and drives near perfect. I'm going to wait to see if they update the interior in the next couple of years, or maybe I'll see what how the Rebel TRX turns out. I'm fairly certain I'll end up with another one down the road.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5,515 Posts
I wouldn't say loss, she paid the depreciation on the car, you aren't losing money with a lease if you go after the right vehicle, not sure what the monthly and residual and selling price was on her exact model but the $ per mile works out a lot better on a lease.

with 0 down on a 72k hellcat on a 36 month term payment would be nearly 2k, on a 0 down lease 36 months most people achieved $550-$600 i.e $22k paid after 3 years, with power dollars and all that for most people they would end up paying less on a lease after turning it in than trading it in especially since some haven't even crossed 20k mark. some situations you come out ahead some you don't, for example where can you get a 65k BMW for circa $300 a month, after 3 years I'll have paid 9k to drive a 5 series that most people pay double to lease. I'll admit that leasing makes a lot more sense for a tax writeoff situation but money is never "lost" unless you lease the car at sticker with a low residual and high mf.
Yep... negotiate a great lease deal and then write it off. (y)

·
Registered
299 Posts
After agonizing this decision for the past few weeks, I decided to let the car go. I'm buying it out for a friend who wants it. He's getting a better deal than he could find elsewhere on a car he knows the history on, and I don't have to eat the disposition fee. It's a win win for everyone.

Without question I will be regretting this decision by the end of the week (when my lease officially ends). My Charger has been flawless and got more thumbs up and head nods than all the other vehicles I've ever owned combined. It's just a cool car for the everyday dad. It's completely sinister and drives near perfect. I'm going to wait to see if they update the interior in the next couple of years, or maybe I'll see what how the Rebel TRX turns out. I'm fairly certain I'll end up with another one down the road.
Why did you ultimately decide to get rid of it? I can't see myself being happy with any car after the hellcat except for maybe a trackhawk or redeye.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
It was a tough decision for sure. I absolutely love the car! I was truly on the fence until Sunday, when I finally broke down and agreed to sell it to my buddy (who REALLY wants it).

Between my buyout price, annual property tax (biggest scam ever!), and insurance, the car would cost about $1k a month. In addition to having three vehicles and a Harley, I have a company car I use for work. I only put 17k miles on my Hellcat in 3 years. Between the low mileage I was putting on the car and the fact my son starts college this fall, I decided the smart thing to do was to let it go.

I won't have a company car forever, and when it goes I'll buy another Hellcat (either a Charger or TRX). While I'm waiting, I'm hopeful Dodge upgrades the interior to be as classy as their new Ram's are. If the TRX comes out and is as cool as I think it will be, maybe I will get rid of my Excursion and replace both vehicles with one. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
330 Posts
Why did you ultimately decide to get rid of it? I can't see myself being happy with any car after the hellcat except for maybe a trackhawk or redeye.
I mean you might think that but go drive an m5, m8, e63, etc. etc. You will probably love those cars just as much as a hellcat or trackhawk.

The hellcat is a great car but only because it's such a damn good $/hp deal, with the chargers creeping up to 85k and the fully loaded chally wb redeyes almost at 100k I still think they are a good bang for buck but they are getting to the point where they are starting to run into better competition and if they start going into the 6 figure range that will be the end of the line to them.

Similarly to how the r35 gtr was, 70k when it came out now it's circa $120k+ for a new one. At 70k people were salivating for it, at $120k not so much anymore.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I mean you might think that but go drive an m5, m8, e63, etc. etc. You will probably love those cars just as much as a hellcat or trackhawk.

The hellcat is a great car but only because it's such a damn good $/hp deal, with the chargers creeping up to 85k and the fully loaded chally wb redeyes almost at 100k I still think they are a good bang for buck but they are getting to the point where they are starting to run into better competition and if they start going into the 6 figure range that will be the end of the line to them.

Similarly to how the r35 gtr was, 70k when it came out now it's circa $120k+ for a new one. At 70k people were salivating for it, at $120k not so much anymore.
Well I guess I should have said any other car within hellcat price range LOL. If we are talking cars $100k and up...then yeah sure I'm giving up the hellcat in a heartbeat if that was within my affordability.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It was a tough decision for sure. I absolutely love the car! I was truly on the fence until Sunday, when I finally broke down and agreed to sell it to my buddy (who REALLY wants it).

Between my buyout price, annual property tax (biggest scam ever!), and insurance, the car would cost about $1k a month. In addition to having three vehicles and a Harley, I have a company car I use for work. I only put 17k miles on my Hellcat in 3 years. Between the low mileage I was putting on the car and the fact my son starts college this fall, I decided the smart thing to do was to let it go.

I won't have a company car forever, and when it goes I'll buy another Hellcat (either a Charger or TRX). While I'm waiting, I'm hopeful Dodge upgrades the interior to be as classy as their new Ram's are. If the TRX comes out and is as cool as I think it will be, maybe I will get rid of my Excursion and replace both vehicles with one. Best of both worlds.
I 100% get it now. Life, family, and finances come first. Smart man. Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
330 Posts
Well I guess I should have said any other car within hellcat price range LOL. If we are talking cars $100k and up...then yeah sure I'm giving up the hellcat in a heartbeat if that was within my affordability.
No I get it, and I assumed that you probably meant under 100 which is where the hellcat truly shines.

Truth be told in 2015 the hellcat was faster from a dig but the problem is Srt is milking this old platform, the M team has been through 2 generations and multiple refreshes from the time the hellcat was announced to today, in fact they are going for another mid cycle refresh again for 2021 MY.

My biggest problem with fca is lack of innovation year after year from Srt, no power bump for the chargers from 2015 to 2020, it took them 5 model years before a wb came out even though traction issues plagued the car since the begining, and the audacity to not even offer a separate wheel and tire package for the vehicle from the factory or dealerships..... Bmw has 4/5 different wheel combos, 3/4 tire combos ( performance run flat, all season run flat, performance non-runflat, e.t.c e.t.c)

Seems like the challenger gets all the love.... go figure.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts