SRT Hellcat Forum banner

who's in the driver's seat now?

2324 18
Trying to figure out who is caught over the barrel, me or the dealer. My situation is. ...
I have a von #1 in line for a Charger at a dealer that has been getting allocation.
When I ordered the car the agreement was "market price "@time of delivery. They have been getting MSRP +5.
Fast forward to current state of events, no more dealer stock orders and no more sold orders accepted.
Now, I see things going one of 3ways.
1) I leverage the fact that if they want to sell the car at all, sell it to me @msrp. If not I cancel before a vin is issued and they have no car to sell and make $0.
(This assumes they actually cancel my order )
2) They say we want msrp +$20 because you can't order anywhere else. In which case I walk and cancel.
3) We meet somewhere slightly over msrp.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
I'd be inclined to work them even more, but not a chance I would pay $20k over MSRP.. Maybe a few grand but thats it.. Sounds like a shady dealer.
 

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
717 Posts
I sure would have hammered out a price before placing an order. If they go more than 5k, I'd cancel and raise a big stink with SRT, Chrysler, and whoever else would listen but it won't do much good because the price had not been established. You don't have much leverage in the negotiation, I'd imagine they'd happily hang on to the car for a couple of days to get an extra 5-10k of pure profit out of it. Good luck with it, I hope it goes well.
 

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
278 Posts
That is just bad business for the Dealer. MSRP or less is all you should pay. Period. Did you put a stroke down or have a sales agreement in writing? Market price WTF who sets market price on a production vehicle with MSRP?
 

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
2,067 Posts
I'd be on the horn now telling you want to work a final price. Tell them you have a life event other than the car that requires funds and just need to plan the cost in your budget.

If they dance or won't do it, be afraid.... Very afraid.
 

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I ordered we ( dealer and I ) figured +5 would be at the most. I was hoping things would settle down and msrp would be the going rate this summer. Now, with this latest game changer, I'm not sure what to do or make of it.
 

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
3,681 Posts
Market price can be open to interpretation. Where are you located? In CA 5K over is considered a fairly good deal. If you cancel....Opt #1, they will most likely just leave your name on the order and just keep it for dealer stock saying buyer backed out at last minute. If they wanted to be really bogus, they could do Opt#2 on you and I would walk as well. #3 is kind of in the middle. They could make a point that they were getting 5K over and will stay consistent with yours. When was your order placed? If I was in VON for 3-4 months, order banks were closed, local dealers getting an ADM and I didn't want to wait for 2016/price increases, 5K over would probably work for me .Any parameters on what your market condition criteria would consist of?
 

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've spoken to several other dealers in the area over the past few months found 3 that quoted msrp, with no guarantee of if and when they would get a car. A few others that had been getting cars @ +5.
So, my case for msrp holds water as I see it. Not sure how they are going to see it.

Location is western Wisconsin. Not far from bigger market of Minneapolis, MN.
 

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
3,681 Posts
I've spoken to several other dealers in the area over the past few months found 3 that quoted msrp, with no guarantee of if and when they would get a car. A few others that had been getting cars @ +5.
So, my case for msrp holds water as I see it. Not sure how they are going to see it.

Location is western Wisconsin. Not far from bigger market of Minneapolis, MN.
Hopefully you will get it at MSRP, but they might pull the "no longer taking orders spiel" thereby invoking the limited production (2015)/ more valuable crap.
 

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
5,013 Posts
Trying to figure out who is caught over the barrel, me or the dealer. My situation is. ...
I have a von #1 in line for a Charger at a dealer that has been getting allocation.
When I ordered the car the agreement was "market price "@time of delivery. They have been getting MSRP +5.
Fast forward to current state of events, no more dealer stock orders and no more sold orders accepted.
Now, I see things going one of 3ways.
1) I leverage the fact that if they want to sell the car at all, sell it to me @msrp. If not I cancel before a vin is issued and they have no car to sell and make $0.
(This assumes they actually cancel my order )
2) They say we want msrp +$20 because you can't order anywhere else. In which case I walk and cancel.
3) We meet somewhere slightly over msrp.

What are your thoughts or suggestions?
Just me but I would never sign up for "market price @ time of delivery". WTF does that mean other than you are at the dealers mercy!
 

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
5,013 Posts
If you cancel email every damn email you have at FCA and let them know you cancelled your order so unless the dealer cancels he is playing the system! May do nothing but I'd do it anyway if the dealer was boning me over 'market price'. Sounds like a real tool bag of a dealer anyway.
 

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
3,681 Posts
Who at the dealership are you dealing with? Owner/GM or other mgt? Have you dealt with these folks before? What is their reputation?
 

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
3,681 Posts
If you cancel email every damn email you have at FCA and let them know you cancelled your order so unless the dealer cancels he is playing the system! May do nothing but I'd do it anyway if the dealer was boning me over 'market price'. Sounds like a real tool bag of a dealer anyway.
I'd let FCA know if things go south....however once the car hits the lot and market conditions are established...by them...they now have the car and again could just say buyer backed out at least minute. If you have a good rapport with your guy/gal there, I am sure you have contemplated trying to nail down a firm price now. Things today can and will most likely change in the coming weeks....but which way...only Huggy and his crystal ball know...lol
 

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SRT 707- Yes, if I do end up walking away I plan on doing my best to make sure they don't keep the order alive.

Snappy - I've been dealing with their SRT specialist. I know his father from many years ago. That's why I wasn't too concerned about price before the latest development. Now I'm just trying to plot out the best strategy to get the car at the lowest possible price.
 

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
5,013 Posts
SRT 707- Yes, if I do end up walking away I plan on doing my best to make sure they don't keep the order alive.

Snappy - I've been dealing with their SRT specialist. I know his father from many years ago. That's why I wasn't too concerned about price before the latest development. Now I'm just trying to plot out the best strategy to get the car at the lowest possible price.
I hope they DON'T bone you and you get your car at MSRP (or whatever is reasonable in your mind). Best of luck... Everybody here deserves to get a cat!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 707hpcharger

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
122 Posts
Same thing happened to me at my dealer. The guy wanted "market price at time of delivery". I was like WTH? Put in an order, wait six months and then get boned by the dealer at plus 15k or some nonsense.

We went round and round finally got him to agree in writing at "market price at time of delivery not to exceed MSRP plus 5k". I figured at least I would have an order in and could work work the lots in the meantime. Plus maybe the potential plus 5k might get the dealer to do the foot work and find me something. So far nada on the incentive.

I ordered Torred with the A8, sepia, nav, and all season tires.
 

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone know if VON's can be transferred to a different buyer?
I'm just thinking ahead, if I can't reach an agreeable price with the dealer, maybe someone on the forum would be a willing buyer @ MSRP +?
 

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
Joined
·
195 Posts
707HP-To answer your original question, I'd say the dealer is -unfortunately- in the driver's seat now. I think you are always best off having a firm price based on MSRP--plus or minus--before placing an order. Good luck, because it's a bad situation.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top