SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat 6MT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just like the title says...

I have installed a Barton shifter on my 6MT Challenger HC a few weeks ago. The installation was easy, and it works great, as I expected.

But... At around 1800 RPM I can hear a pretty annoying sound coming from behind the front of the center console or the dashboard just above it. This is not a pleasant mechanical sound, it's more like a sound a two surfaces gently grinding against each other (I can't really find good words to describe it, but those with Barton shifters will understand what I mean). It is not very loud: it's barely noticeable with the window down, but it gets pretty annoying with the windows up. I'm not against "good" sounds, but this is not of that kind.

From reading what other people post, it seems to be a common issue with these shifters. I tried to add sound deadening material to the metal panels around the shifter and even went as far as stuffing the central console with sound absorbing acoustic wool. Maybe that helped a bit, but the sound is still there, and it comes more like from the area between the center console and the bottom of the dashboard above it.

Any ideas what causes this noise? It doesn't look like it comes from the shifter itself... If you have a Barton shifter, do you hear anything like that?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
384 Posts
Just like the title says...

I have installed a Barton shifter on my 6MT Challenger HC a few weeks ago. The installation was easy, and it works great, as I expected.

But... At around 1800 RPM I can hear a pretty annoying sound coming from behind the front of the center console or the dashboard just above it. This is not a pleasant mechanical sound, it's more like a sound a two surfaces gently grinding against each other (I can't really find good words to describe it, but those with Barton shifters will understand what I mean). It is not very loud: it's barely noticeable with the window down, but it gets pretty annoying with the windows up. I'm not against "good" sounds, but this is not of that kind.

From reading what other people post, it seems to be a common issue with these shifters. I tried to add sound deadening material to the metal panels around the shifter and even went as far as stuffing the central console with sound absorbing acoustic wool. Maybe that helped a bit, but the sound is still there, and it comes more like from the area between the center console and the bottom of the dashboard above it.

Any ideas what causes this noise? It doesn't look like it comes from the shifter itself... If you have a Barton shifter, do you hear anything like that?
I believe it has to do with shifter being more rigid and the related bushings.

I've read to do the below, but for me, the noise was not bothersome at all, just a different noise that takes a couple weeks to get used to and then it just blends in.

I had the vibration. Popped the boot and loosened the nut at the back of the shifter then ran it through 3-4 shift half a dozen times then left it in neutral. Tightened the nut back down, put the boot back in place and no more noise.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it has to do with shifter being more rigid and the related bushings.
That's what I thought at first, but it seems that the sound comes from the transmission, actually.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the vibration. Popped the boot and loosened the nut at the back of the shifter then ran it through 3-4 shift half a dozen times then left it in neutral. Tightened the nut back down, put the boot back in place and no more noise.
I did that; no difference. And I never had any vibrations, just noise.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Odd as I have no noise from mine. You sure nothing is rubbing or binding?
Nope. And, like I said, it's only in a rather narrow RPM range in 1st and 2nd gears (may be in others as well, but by then it's too many other noises to hear it).

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,995 Posts
My dads 2013 rt did this with the hurst shifter installed. It had the old school tall pistol grip handle as well. I used Dynomat on everything and it went away. It was drivetrain vibration.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I applied it everywhere I could reach; the sound now comes from behind the middle/ bottom of the dashboard...

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,995 Posts
You can see up in the middle from under the dash if you drop the covers and get your head down by the pedals. Pulling the drivers seat will make this an easy task.
20210226_172612.jpg

Reactions: El-Gato and akras

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,995 Posts
Or pull the pass seat, have someone lay under there while you drive, and reach up and feel for what is vibrating. They should be able to feel it, wrap it with dynomat, test drive again.

·
HOTM Winner
221 Posts
Hmmm, I don't have ay issues with mine.

Reactions: Radride

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
913 Posts
The problem isn't with the shifter. It is either build quality tolerances unmasked by NHV increased by the shifter installation, or user sensitivity to increased NHV.

No different than adding noisier tires or exhaust.

The car was engineered as a total solution. Mess with the formula, get a different solution.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
My real question (and concern) is what exactly causes this noise (which seems to come from the drivetrain, not the shifter). Like I mentioned, I put soundproofing everywhere I could reach with minimal to no effect. And this is weird noise in a certain RPM range (~1,800) in 1st and 2nd gears, not vibration.

The shifter has a spring that returns it to the 3/4 position. This spring applies considerable "sideway" load on whatever is moving in the shifting mechanism in the transmission when it is in 1/2 and 5/6 gears. The transmission was not designed for it. Judging by the noise, it might be not happy in 1/2 gears. That's my major concern. I'll try to apply some force on the lever in the direction opposite to the spring action while in 1st or 2nd gear to see if that changes the noise to test this hypothesis.

BTW, I tried (on multiple occasions) to reach Barton to talk to them about it, but, alas, their customer service seems to consist of an answering machine and a mail box that nobody reads.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
672 Posts
I can hear some gear wine but it is not bad and varies depending on gear and speed. Most of the time it is unnoticeable. I believe it is a result of the hard bushings, they remove all the slop, but they also do not buffer vibration.

What year and how many miles? Have you asked Barton?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can hear some gear wine but it is not bad and varies depending on gear and speed. Most of the time it is unnoticeable. I believe it is a result of the hard bushings, they remove all the slop, but they also do not buffer vibration.
There is no vibration, just noise coming from the transmission, not from the shifter...
Barton went incommunicado: I could never reach them. I guess reputations come and reputations go.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
672 Posts
Sounds strange that the shifter would cause a noise to emanate from the trans. In my case, the hard bushings are carrying the (assumed normal) trans vibration into the shifter causing the noise.

Suggestion: Pull the top cover and boot off the console. Get a mechanics stethoscope and while you drive, have the passenger poke around to isolate the source of the noise.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sounds strange that the shifter would cause a noise to emanate from the trans.
I described one possible mechanism here:
The shifter has a spring that returns it to the 3/4 position. This spring applies considerable "sideway" load on whatever is moving in the shifting mechanism in the transmission when it is in 1/2 and 5/6 gears. The transmission was not designed for it. Judging by the noise, it might be not happy in 1/2 gears. That's my major concern.
Suggestion: Pull the top cover and boot off the console. Get a mechanics stethoscope and while you drive, have the passenger poke around to isolate the source of the noise.
The sound comes from under the dash, above the transmission tunnel, so I assume it's transmission.

·
Premium Member
2020 M6 HC
672 Posts
Doesn't change what I said. Just truing to help. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
384 Posts
Have you considered uninstalling the Barton and reinstalling the stock shifter to hear if the noise is still present?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you considered uninstalling the Barton and reinstalling the stock shifter to hear if the noise is still present?
No. This sound was not there before and it's an issue mentioned by a few other people.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts