SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We get a lot of people asking us why we charge $650, $700, or $800 for a remote tuning session on their Hellcat or other supercharged Hemi when they could just as easily purchase a tune online for a much lower cost. A tune is a tune right?

Wrong.

Many of the folks that are turned away by our higher cost call back a few months later asking for a remote tune. They state they wish they had paid the amount the first time because of the tuning issues they are currently experiencing. Thankfully some cars we get like this have no damage. However some are not so lucky.

Instead of paying the $750 it would have cost to have us tune his car initially, one such customer chose to purchase a tune online for a much lower cost. Unfortunately, this mistake cost him thousands in parts and labor at our shop in addition to the $750 tune. See the below pictures of this engine.

In conclusion, please be aware of what is out there. The old saying is true, "you get what you pay for". These are expensive cars. Don't cheap out on a tune!

Two cylinders damaged. The block is also damaged beyond repair and cannot be used as a core. Both cylinder heads were also destroyed.

Cylinder #2

Cylinder #1

Piston from #1

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
12,292 Posts
:eek:

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,861 Posts
Very True!
You can get what you pay for and most times it a great talker who think they are so experienced at Tuning when in fact thier customer is a Guinea Pig!

That's a lot of Damage was that E85 or NOS tuned?

Thanks for sharing
Linda

·
Vendor
Challenger SRT Hellcat
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Linda, this was a Hellcat with an upper pulley on 93 octane and no nitrous.

·
Premium Member
Charger SRT Hellcat
6,861 Posts
I really like my 93 tune for Daily Driving and then a race tune for my race mods and race gas.
Also Some Tuners will be agreeable to put a customers car on the edge even when they know what can happen like the above engine.

It's not if.......its when.

Linda:)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
421 Posts
Admin......we need a WOW button please......

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,114 Posts
If you're that worried about the cost of the tune you shouldn't be doing power mods-its what makes the build work together right in the real world-or skip it and pay the ultimate price...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
349 Posts
Linda, this was a Hellcat with an upper pulley on 93 octane and no nitrous.
Yup good old deto hello!!!! People dont understand how fast this happens in seconds!! Never go short on fuel supply or quality. And I feel if you plan on running pump gas find a nice safe happy number. If you want big numbers you need better fuel!! These motors are a thing of beauty why push on crap fuel!!!!

Thanks for the info!!!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,224 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
769 Posts
People complain about fuel injectors running 800-1500 bucks and an 800 dollar tune...

...on a 15+k dollar motor...in a 70k dollar car...

I just laugh anymore. People bring it upon themselves.

What blows my mind is someone actually thought YOU were expensive...OST is beyond reasonable for tuning...especially in person and also considering the experience and results.

·
Administrator
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,634 Posts
I seen a poster the other day that said :

" skilled Labour is not cheap

Cheap Labour is not skilled"

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Seing your car in person:cool: has pretty much settled who will tune my cat when the time comes;).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts