SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will be picking up wide body Challenger from a small dealer in a small town whose service department (and town) doesn't have much experience installing rock chip guards or PPF .

I have a 4 hour drive back home. Is some kind protection 100% necessary if I wanttot keep the car as chip-flawless as the narrow body?
If needed, best recommended rock chip guards?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
1,408 Posts
Will be picking up wide body Challenger from a small dealer in a small town whose service department (and town) doesn't have much experience installing rock chip guards or PPF .

I have a 4 hour drive back home. Is some kind protection 100% necessary if I wanttot keep the car as chip-flawless as the narrow body?
If needed, best recommended rock chip guards?
You could take some masking tape with you & mask the fronts of the rear flares to get it home. A couple of layers should do it.

·
HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,317 Posts
Use the search function here. This subject has been chatted to death already. Some good info can be found.

Reactions: HP_Addict19

·
Registered
137 Posts
Pictures of rock chip damage even on lower rockers?

What protective tape would you say is the best (no harm to new paint finish)?
I used painters Scotch blue tape(2"thick) on the whole front bumper of my car, front of hood and the fronts of the 4 flares, also the rear bottoms of the quarters. Also did the mirrors and the front a-pilar around the winshield. Used just about a whole roll and drove 300 miles home. Removed it at 1am before putting it in my garage. Not one rock chip on the car despite heavy truck traffic and the blue tape didn't even look so bad with my frostbite color, LOL.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Most of us use ZL1addons Rock guards and side skirts.

‘And it looks pretty good too after installing those. That link says wide body kit but click on it. You can buy the skirts separately

·
Registered
2022 Challenger Jail Break
1,989 Posts
I feel the zl1 rock guard would stop 90% of the rocks even to the lower rockers. The side skirts are added plus for sure.

I don’t run the skirts I just have a shit load of PPF. My rockers are PPF covered half way up the door.

·
Registered
In The Market
351 Posts
The ZL1 deluxe wide body rock guards can be installed at all 4 corners on the ground without removing the wheels in less then 30 minutes without any tools so I would buy them and take them with you. If you don't want to do that I would recommend painters tape or track armour tape. The spots that get hit the most are the rear fenders and sometimes the doors can get hit. I would also tape up the front end and the front portion of the hood.

·
HOTM Winner
2021 Black Widebody Challenger Redeye
2,833 Posts
I've had the rock guards and side skirts on my widebody since new. They both make a HUGE difference and both are easy to install. You don't have to take wheels off or lift the car.
The amount of scratches & pitting on the bottom of the side skirts is crazy! They really do protect the sides and rockers of the car. Personally, just my opinion but I'm not a fan of ppf. I don't like the look, expense & even it will get chipped up. Either way, you need SOMETHING to protect the paint. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Check out Rockblokz before you pull the trigger on the ZL1's they have two types. I used the Rockblokz plus I added the ZL1 side skirts. I like the installation of the Rockblokz better but that is just a matter of personal opinion.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Check out Rockblokz before you pull the trigger on the ZL1's they have two types. I used the Rockblokz plus I added the ZL1 side skirts. I like the installation of the Rockblokz better but that is just a matter of personal opinion.
Yea Rockblokz definitely has wider rear rock guards. But they also look too wide and big. Like truck mud flaps lol.

The ZL1 side skirts make the world of difference with the narrow rock guards.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts