SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

Stock rim or Wider aftermarket rim for wide tires

• Stock Rims

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aftermarket rims

Votes: 8 100.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
Charger SRT Hellcat
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been getting mixed opinions when it comes to going wide on the stock 9.5” rims, Ive heard people tell me they run 315’s with no problem but I also hear that it’s safer to get a wider rim for a wider tire. Regardless these Pirelli P-zeroes got to go lol, practically ice skating at less then half throttle
Would appreciate some feedback!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,160 Posts
315's on stock 9.5" wheels? I've heard of some going with 305's on stock wheels with DR's, but that's as far as I'd push it.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
688 Posts
Lots of threads on this topic on this forum. Consensus seems to be that 305s or wider on 9.5 wheels is beyond published recommendations, but also compromises contact patch. I have 305s on 10.5 PKAD HR5s.

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,809 Posts
335's on 11.5's

Reactions: Triumph and 91681

·
HOTM Winner
Challenger SRT Hellcat
7,809 Posts
Reactions: Triumph and 91681

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,468 Posts
I’ve been getting mixed opinions when it comes to going wide on the stock 9.5” rims, Ive heard people tell me they run 315’s with no problem but I also hear that it’s safer to get a wider rim for a wider tire. Regardless these Pirelli P-zeroes got to go lol, practically ice skating at less then half throttle
Would appreciate some feedback!
There are no mixed reviews. Some are confused or blinded by the visual aspect of cheaply adding a wider tire to an OEM wheel IMO. 315's on a 9.5" wheel is a waste and never will work to its specifications because it is not recommended and don't make any size or financial sense.

Think about the sizes and numbers. I'll use PZero by Pirelli because they make all kinds of sizes.

275/40 OEM 9.5" rim. Section width - 10.9" Thread width - 9.5". Nearly perfect!
305/35. 11.0" rim. Section width - 12.3" Thread width - 10.6" 11" nearly perfect!
315/35. 11.0" rim. Section width - 12.6" Thread width - 12"
335/30. 12.0" rim. Section width - 13.7" Thread width - 12.8"

YES, for a wider tire, use a wider (recommended) wheel width!

For the 305 vs 275 debate. I see you are a new member. We have acceleration numbers. A 275/40 or a 285/35 or 295/35 ALL have shown to accelerate as quick or quicker than a 305/35 on a 9.5" with the same tire species (I.E. compare street tires to street tires, compare DR to DR). We also have pictures of contact patches to demonstrate this. Just search our site deeper.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
278 Posts
I run a 295/35 which is 1mm ( bee’s d*-* ) each side outside recommended spec . They fit without massaging the inner and don’t poke out ( just ) . As stated above anything wider is probably more look than performance and more about personal choice.
Be aware that different manufacturers tyre’s fit differently, the Michelin 4s I run are a very wide 295 ( I know that sounds dumb ) .

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,468 Posts
Those are great tires/size for the 9.5” wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts