SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Wider wheels on the Rear

79940 47
I want to put a wider wheel and tire combo on the rear of my new hellcat. Im a major fan of the vapor black chrome the is on my grand cherokee srt. I want to stay with 20's. What is the largest width i can safely get on the rear tires/wheels. If I can get an 11 or 12 inch wide tire in the rear and still stay flush with the fender the same as the stock wheels/tires do it would be great...

What is the max width???
How do I go about Ordering the wheel and tire combo?
Who can I order it from?
Will a set of oem grad cherokee srt wheels accomplish this?? Front and rear???
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
223 Posts
I have 22"x10.5" wheels with 295/30 ZR22 on the rear of my 2010 SRT8. When on a lift the tires barely touch the plastic inner fender. When the car is on the ground there is almost 1/2" gap in that same location. I can see no reason why a 20"x10.5" wheel will not fit.

However,
I believe there are some difference in the Hellcat suspension, I think I heard it was lowered 1/2" for aerodynamic reasons, better top end. Bottom line is I will wait until I get the car to check this out and then go as wide as I can.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,695 Posts
My understanding is that SRT went with the biggest wheels they could fit, without changing the Challenger's wheel well. But, if you don't throw more than one or two petite hotties in the backseat at once, and stick to the Sport Mode for a firmer suspension than 'street' setting provides, maybe some more rubber can get squeezed under? Otherwise, it might necessitate a switch to a slightly wider, but slightly lower profile, tire, and stock width wheel? Hard to say, until some Hellcat owners start trying it, and driving on it, to see if there is any rubbin'...

· Premium Member
13,620 Posts
I want to put a wider wheel and tire combo on the rear of my new hellcat. Im a major fan of the vapor black chrome the is on my grand cherokee srt. I want to stay with 20's. What is the largest width i can safely get on the rear tires/wheels. If I can get an 11 or 12 inch wide tire in the rear and still stay flush with the fender the same as the stock wheels/tires do it would be great...

What is the max width???
How do I go about Ordering the wheel and tire combo?
Who can I order it from?
Will a set of oem grad cherokee srt wheels accomplish this?? Front and rear???
If you go to the main forum page, there is a thread on wheels and tires and even more discussion on it. Now that some Hellcats are out there, we should get some answers on this! Can't wait to find out what will work!;)

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
34 Posts
I am new here, but contemplating the purchase of a Hellcat at some point once some of the outrageous dealer antics are under control and the market inventory increases.

Be that as it may, I thought I would offer up these 2 website links, they have served me well in the past when trying to get a visual representation of how a new tire or wheel are going to look and fit compared to the factory setup. For me they have come in handy when trying to get an overall idea of how tires will measure up when stepping up in size and also how rim size, width and offset will be impacted between the original and a newer wheel setup.

Tire size calculator visual -
Tire size calculator

Wheel and tire size comparison -
Custom rims wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Does anyone happen to know what the factory offset on the 20" Hellcat wheel is?

· Banned
5,317 Posts
Contact
Triumph Performance Wheels in So Cal.
They are the custom wheel designer for the Fast and Furious Dodge cars.
Bismark is the owner Pure car guy.
Hands Down best wheels money can buy.

WT

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
5 Posts
New to the forum but been enjoying my Challenger Hellcat for a few months now. Huge issues putting power to the wheels with the stock Perelli P-Zero 275/40/20 tires, although I love Perelli tires on other cars, the Hellcat has way to much power for them.

Just installed Nitto NT555R 305/35/20 tires on the rear and I must say they hook really really well! Cost was $460 each installed and fits the stock rims. I did extensive research and 95% sure this is the biggest tire that will fit, if you want bigger you will have to get new rims. That said, I don't see any reason why 315 tires wouldn't fit, but I would do your research before.

Second, I was planning to install Eibach pro springs that would lower the car about 1", but after installing the 305 tires I am a little worried about rubbing, in Street drive mode. I think Sport/Track modes are stiff enough to not be a problem. If you install 315's it may be even closer to rubbing if you decide to lower. As you can see, the 305 tires are slightly wider than the car fender and look great!

The stock 275/40/20 tire is already a HUGE tire, the Nitto 305 is impressively larger!

(I hope this ins't to many pics)

Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Auto part Tread
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Alloy wheel Vehicle
Automotive exterior Sidewalk Vehicle Bumper Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
203 Posts
New to the forum but been enjoying my Challenger Hellcat for a few months now. Huge issues putting power to the wheels with the stock Perelli P-Zero 275/40/20 tires, although I love Perelli tires on other cars, the Hellcat has way to much power for them.

Just installed Nitto NT555R 305/35/20 tires on the rear and I must say they hook really really well! Cost was $460 each installed and fits the stock rims. I did extensive research and 95% sure this is the biggest tire that will fit, if you want bigger you will have to get new rims. That said, I don't see any reason why 315 tires wouldn't fit, but I would do your research before.

Second, I was planning to install Eibach pro springs that would lower the car about 1", but after installing the 305 tires I am a little worried about rubbing, in Street drive mode. I think Sport/Track modes are stiff enough to not be a problem. If you install 315's it may be even closer to rubbing if you decide to lower. As you can see, the 305 tires are slightly wider than the car fender and look great!

The stock 275/40/20 tire is already a HUGE tire, the Nitto 305 is impressively larger!

(I hope this ins't to many pics)

View attachment 11043 View attachment 11044 View attachment 11045 View attachment 11046 View attachment 11047 View attachment 11048
Tires look great, same tires I'm looking at. Did you leave the stocks on front or did you put 555s up front?

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,211 Posts
yeah this was a resurrected 6 month old thread, I'm sure the OP's questions were answered months ago, but yeah lots of people have already put the 305/35 tires and DR's from both Nitto and MT on the Hellcats.
They are technically too wide for the stock wheel, as 305 recommends 10" wide wheel, but again, lots of people have already done it.
I have 10.5" wide wheels coming and am putting 315/35 tires on.
Have to heat up and mould the inner (cheap POS thin) wheel well liner, to keep it from rubbing, but since only a few people have put 315/35's on (most are just going 305/35), I know they'll fit with the right offset and minor moulding, it's good to go.
I don't want to drive on the street on DR's so I ordered up street tires like the stock PZero's.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
321 Posts
I have the same tires sitting in my office as well. Famoso Drag Strip was rained out today and my DSS aluminum drive shaft should be in by the next Famoso even on May 9th so we will see how the first mod go.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
805 Posts
Contact
Triumph Performance Wheels in So Cal.
They are the custom wheel designer for the Fast and Furious Dodge cars.
Bismark is the owner Pure car guy.
Hands Down best wheels money can buy.

WT
What do a set of those mono bloc wheels go for?

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
49 Posts
I got the same setup on mine. Night and day from the pirellis

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.