SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get ready to put the Hellcat down for the winter. As far as the gas tank goes, full tank or near empty for storage?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
57 Posts
yeah, full, some kind of fuel stabilizer.

Reactions: Deadcat

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,622 Posts
I go as full as possible, less room for condensation, with an ethanol formula Stabil. So far so good. Summer tires off as they don't tolerate the cold garage well. Over inflate the tires as well.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I just put my Cat to bed yesterday, it was just over 60 deg. sunny and dry with white salt roads.
I know everyone has their way, but I only fill the fuel full for the winter with no problems in the spring.
The Cat is in the garage, off the ground, with a cover and not temp controlled.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
667 Posts
Get ready to put the Hellcat down for the winter. As far as the gas tank goes, full tank or near empty for storage?
2016 Charger HC 54,000 miles, just drive the car that's why you bought it.. These cars will never be collectors too many made. Put a wrap on it and drive drive drive.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
135 Posts
Um it's not about that. Salt is horrible for a car. I'm NEVER selling mine, but it'd be nice to keep it mint plus. Yes they will be collectible. It's the last of its kind. There will be some worth more than others due to colors and options.

I appreciate the tips gang, thank you!!!!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,122 Posts
Hard to say for sure. Modern cars do not vent the tank to atmosphere. So the tank does not "breathe". Thus to limit the air space in the tank is not a concern.

But I would tend to favor a fuller tank anyhow to ensure the tank level hardware is submerged and less likely to develop a varnish that might interfere with its proper operation when driving season resumes.

The flip side is with just half a tank when you bring the car out of storage you can fill up the tank to in some way counter the staleness of the gasoline.

I do not know how well gas stabilizers actually work. Hard to imagine a few ounces of something mixed with gallons of gasoline would prevent the gasoline from going "stale".

When I had a chance with a family member's car to "experience" 6 month old gasoline the engine started just fine. Idle was ok. The engine ran ok. All I noticed was the engine was not as peppy as I expected but I had no prior experience with the vehicle and just assumed the engine was a dog. But after some use the tank got low and I filled the tank with 91 gasoline same brand as the owner used. With fresh gasoline the engine ran much better and it proved to not be a dog with fresh gasoline.

As for ethanol I'd be tempted to fill the tank with ethanol free gasoline -- mainly because where I live and drive ethanol free gasoline is "readily" available and I use it day to day -- but if it is not available then just put in the correct octane grade of gasoline being careful to buy from a busy station to ensure you get the freshest gasoline.

Upon ignition on just prior to engine start the fuel pump by runs and by design directs some of its output to circulate around and over the pump to help keep the pump cool. A side effect of this is it agitates the gasoline in the tank so any stratification is dealt with. For fuel in the lines just the flowing results in turbulence which "stirs" the gasoline.

Be sure you put the car away with fresh oil in the engine.

Inflate the tires to something above the normal driving pressure but not over the max pressure on the sidewall. Something like 45psi which is what the factory inflates the tires to for shipping/storage. Be sure when you take the car out in the spring you lower the pressure to the correct pressure for driving.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hard to say for sure. Modern cars do not vent the tank to atmosphere. So the tank does not "breathe". Thus to limit the air space in the tank is not a concern.

But I would tend to favor a fuller tank anyhow to ensure the tank level hardware is submerged and less likely to develop a varnish that might interfere with its proper operation when driving season resumes.

The flip side is with just half a tank when you bring the car out of storage you can fill up the tank to in some way counter the staleness of the gasoline.

I do not know how well gas stabilizers actually work. Hard to imagine a few ounces of something mixed with gallons of gasoline would prevent the gasoline from going "stale".

When I had a chance with a family member's car to "experience" 6 month old gasoline the engine started just fine. Idle was ok. The engine ran ok. All I noticed was the engine was not as peppy as I expected but I had no prior experience with the vehicle and just assumed the engine was a dog. But after some use the tank got low and I filled the tank with 91 gasoline same brand as the owner used. With fresh gasoline the engine ran much better and it proved to not be a dog with fresh gasoline.

As for ethanol I'd be tempted to fill the tank with ethanol free gasoline -- mainly because where I live and drive ethanol free gasoline is "readily" available and I use it day to day -- but if it is not available then just put in the correct octane grade of gasoline being careful to buy from a busy station to ensure you get the freshest gasoline.

Upon ignition on just prior to engine start the fuel pump by runs and by design directs some of its output to circulate around and over the pump to help keep the pump cool. A side effect of this is it agitates the gasoline in the tank so any stratification is dealt with. For fuel in the lines just the flowing results in turbulence which "stirs" the gasoline.

Be sure you put the car away with fresh oil in the engine.

Inflate the tires to something above the normal driving pressure but not over the max pressure on the sidewall. Something like 45psi which is what the factory inflates the tires to for shipping/storage. Be sure when you take the car out in the spring you lower the pressure to the correct pressure for driving.
Great information. Thanks!

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,272 Posts
And many forget this but run your A/C on max cold for 15 minutes before putting the car away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,272 Posts
What’s the reason for that?
Moves the oil around the system and helps keeps the seals lubed. Also makes sure that it gets one more good run before the long winter. Many quit using the a/c when it starts turning cooler and definitely not good for it to go unused any more than necessary. Also mentioned in your Owner's Manual under vehicle storage.

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Moves the oil around the system and helps keeps the seals lubed. Also makes sure that it gets one more good run before the long winter. Many quit using the a/c when it starts turning cooler and definitely not good for it to go unused any more than necessary. Also mentioned in your Owner's Manual under vehicle storage.

👍🏻

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
135 Posts
Really good stuff gang! I didnth think to do the tires, ac, full tank etc.

Any harm in firing it up.every couple weeks?

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,622 Posts
Really good stuff gang! I didnth think to do the tires, ac, full tank etc.

Any harm in firing it up.every couple weeks?
Probably not advisable imho as all you're going to do is generate condensation in the exhaust system, which will just sit there unless you really get it up to operating temps. Don't bother unless you can take it out for a while, run out the tire flat spots, etc...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Put away yesterday. 45# in the tires. Rubber compounds today are such that 5-6 months down with a little extra air won't flat spot. Tarp underneath. Amsoil stabilizer. Full tank. Rags in exhaust. Front windows cracked a tad. Battery tender. Cover.

Got a good hot run in and parked it.. Done till spring. I'm in the camp that says starting and idling is no good. If you can get it out and run it..that's different.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,882 Posts
One more thing I do just because it's cheap insurance...I picked up a set of these large desiccant packs to put in the footwells. They make sure any moisture that might still be in the car due to condensation or what not doesn't breed mold or other nasty gunk.

They are reusable year after year by baking them in the oven at about 250 for 4 hours or until the indicator color returns to "dry."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts