SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
In The Market
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been in the market for a performance car for about a year now. After many test drives - mostly using Turo - I thought I'd found my dream car: a Hellcat. I test drove a Jaguar F-Type R, an M3, a C6 & C7 Vette, an E55 AMG, and a Hellcat. Of all the ones I drove, the Hellcat was the most fun, sounded best, most comfortable, and best of all, most controllable when doing dumb stuff like burnouts. I really, really liked that when I was just being stupid with the Hellcat, it never felt really dangerous (unlike the Vettes that felt like they were ready to snap into a tree at any moment). I really love the car.

The Redeye came out and I thought, "well, that's it. That's the one I want. Power of the Demon and the turning ability of a regular widebody." I even went to far as to put down a deposit and factory order one! In the midst of that order, some poor decisions happened and I ended up cancelling it to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

The WK2 was absolutely awful. I don't know if I just got a bad one, but I was in the shop for 4 different check engine lights before the 6-month mark. Don't even get me started on that EcoDiesel. That things should be discontinued. I ended up getting out of that contract and buying a used 4Runner. But that puts me back in the market for a performance car.

Since I'm getting back in the performance car market and now have some reservations about Fiat/Chrysler products, I decided to try out the C7 Vette again. My main uses of a performance car would be country road sport-light driving and track days (HPDE stuff). It would be my 3rd vehicle, so not my daily driver. I figured the C7 was the smart purchase and I need to take another look. It was just as I had remembered - silly fast, pretty comfortable (once you get in it), and kinda scary at times. It really seems like the smart purchase for what I'm planning to use it for. And even better, prices for them are dropping with the C8 reveal.

Still, despite the possible Fiat/Chrysler issues and the Challenger not really being designed for track days, it calls to me constantly. It just feels different than the Vette. It drives different. It sounds different. All for the better if you ask me. It's just really hard for me to justify paying a similar amount of money for worse overall performance and to get back in bed with what might be an unreliable vehicle.

I'm asking for advice here because, (1) you guys know what it's like tracking the Challenger and whether it's as bad as people say and (2) I'm kinda hoping you guys steer me toward the Challenger since it's the way I'm leaning right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice you give whichever way you steer me. :)

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
8,767 Posts
I can tell you the Vette will be a better track car, hands down. With that being said, plenty of people here track their Hellcats and the feedback has been mostly surprisingly positive. The other factor is in your post. It's been calling you. It still will until you buy one and get it out of your system. Trust me I know. I bought a 392 car first and the HC was always calling me. Traded the 392 in for a HC and nothing else has called me yet.

Reactions: CoSRT and Goins2754

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
630 Posts
Hellcat is a blast on a road course. I didn’t have much fun with mine doing tighter auto cross courses. I just replaced it with a Boss 302 Mustang for that purpose. I already miss it though and have been eyeing Chargers for weekend driver duties where the whole family can enjoy riding in the car.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 426
1,829 Posts
I'd get the Cat then pick up a cheap Miata for shredding on the track. Those little things are a blast to carve corners with.

·
Registered
In The Market
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd get the Cat then pick up a cheap Miata for shredding on the track. Those little things are a blast to carve corners with.
Nah, I already have a daily driver. If I was going to get a Miata for the track, I'd just get the Miata and that's it.

But I have zero interest (maybe even less than that if you consider dislike as negative interest) in a Miata. I'd honestly rather go race go karts. :p

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
2,215 Posts
I think the guys who track them are still looking for a good axle solution. They tear boots on the regular I believe.
Otherwise, the Hellcat is an excellent choice.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
639 Posts
Hellcat is a VERY $$$ proposition for a track car - as far as consumables.

I tracked mine for 2+ years. Honestly, there are a lot more fun vehicles out there... that would cost a lot less to track.

·
Registered
In The Market
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hellcat is a VERY $$$ proposition for a track car - as far as consumables.

I tracked mine for 2+ years. Honestly, there are a lot more fun vehicles out there... that would cost a lot less to track.
I'm getting the vibe from reading the other posts here that tracking Hellcat is like "square pegging a round hole." It's just not designed for it. And the extra weight leads to quick wear on tires, brakes, and maybe boots.

Despite how much I love the Challenger and everything about it, I think I'm going to end up having to get a Vette.... like every other person at the track day. :p

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
639 Posts
I'm getting the vibe from reading the other posts here that tracking Hellcat is like "square pegging a round hole." It's just not designed for it. And the extra weight leads to quick wear on tires, brakes, and maybe boots.

Despite how much I love the Challenger and everything about it, I think I'm going to end up having to get a Vette.... like every other person at the track day. :p
I have Vette and Hellcat. Vette hands-down infinity more fun - moderately less expensive to run too... not Atom cheap... but way better than HC.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
639 Posts
I should add.... HC was fun. Way fun... and is an excellent car to learn on. Why? Because it sucks at a track car. LOL. Same as a Viper... these two animals do NOT cover up your bad habits. They expose them. Force you to learn to be a good driver and into technique. Which ultimately is a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,252 Posts
Goins2754 are you asking for racing the 1/4 mile?

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,252 Posts
He said track days - HPDE type stuff, so no mention of 1/4 strip.
Sorry I didnt notice the thread being in the Auto x Forum. If so I would have been tagging DGatzby And TrackDay for experienced answers on this question they have lots of knowledge :)

Linda :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
639 Posts
Sorry I didnt notice the thread being in the Auto x Forum. If so I would have been tagging DGatzby And TrackDay for experienced answers on this question they have lots of knowledge :)

No worries. I usually do the opposite. I start replying without fully reading, and then realize that it’s a drag strip question.... for which I have no experience. All my experience is road course.

·
Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
7,252 Posts
Well the best thing is we are trying to be helpful :)

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,528 Posts

Looks like you got a lot of replies in a short time period. I have a lot of fun with my Challenger at track days, but I got it for other reasons. It's just a ton of fun to surprise other cars that know they should be faster. The real reason I have the car is for the sounds, emotions, etc. that driving a big musclecar gives me.
When you say you will likely get a Corvette, I'm curious which one. The C8 seems like it'll be a great car, but it's going to cost you about the same or likely more than a Redeye WB Challenger right now if you get the standard Z51 fare and high spoiler, etc. On that car I doubt the consumables will really be any cheaper than a Challenger, other than maybe fuel. The sweet spot might be a GS or Z51 C7. The Z51 C7 is going for less than $50K new, right now at some dealerships. That's a steal. But . . . like you say, then you'll just be a part of the Vette crowd at every track day.
I enjoy standing out with my loud, purple car, and attracting a lot of attention. That's just me I guess. . .
I have several videos online, at the link in my sig. See what you think.

·
Premium Member
Challenger SRT Redeye
8,338 Posts
The Hellcat is a blast on the track. He did not say he needed to win races, HPDE is lapping and having fun with your vehicle. He wants to go have fun. He can also take it to the strip and kick butt, or just take it on the street and go have a blast also. This still is a Hellcat Forum, let's talk Hellcats!!

OP, go look at some of our "positive" threads in this section.
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/road-course-videos.206345/
https://www.hellcat.org/threads/road-course-car-setup-what-works-what-doesnt.206337/

Some of us had problems with boots on certain tracks (very high speed) and only when lowered. You can read about some of that in the threads also. I have driven the same track with a non-lowered Hellcat and Redeye, no boot problems. Lower it and it blows boots (BIR DONNYBROOK, also reported at Daytona Road Course by another member).

The Hellcat MUST be easier to drive, and has a balance of good stuff for HPDE laps? Plus, he nailed it! It is comfortable and you can see out of it. I don't have another explanation either. I like a lot of things about my Hellcat, that includes nailing it at the right time in corners and wishing the rest of them good luck! I will say, some tracks are better for the Hellcat. Maybe we do so well at HDPE because what can pass a Hellcat on the straight in designated passing zones????? You drag racers tell me! You get a big, heavy, loud Hellcat and like TrackDay says, you WILL be noticed, heard and have a great time!

OP you say you tested everything and think the Hellcat is more fun. Buy one. Get a used one, some are good bargains now. Hell, the Redeye's can be had for good prices right now. Good luck. We will look forward to your videos passing everything on the track. Brake and tire wear depend on your experience, how aggressive you want to be, and the track you use.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,122 Posts
A used Challenger would be a good choice for what you want. Not a perfect car but not the worst car either.

Up to you how high up the cost (and performance) ladder you want to go. Can't see buying a new car given your intended usage. The depreciation will be the biggest expense. A used car has the 1st or previous owners already having suffered the depreciation.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,528 Posts
I will say if you get a Widebody and put some good tires and track brake pads on it there won't be many cars at all that can out brake or out accelerate you. The hard part with our cars are slow speed switchbacks or hairpins. Higher speed turns where our inertia is less of an issue and where we can put our power down better are where we shine.
Think about what tracks you will frequent and decide what will work best for you.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts