SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given Dodge's challenges to paint a hood black (sounds so simple) those of you who are going to have it done yourself are you going with paint or a wrap and why? I plan on doing one or the other but can't decide on which one.

Reactions: Jungle Jim

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Either way I was planning to remove the hood vents. I figured the wrap wouldn't be affected by the engine heat much if any. I have never seen a wrap on a nascar or race car effected by the heat. The beauty of the wrap is you can change it up pretty easy and if you get tired of it just peel it off!

· Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,768 Posts
None of those options.

I will have a real MYW code car in a month or so, can't drive it now with the salt and calcium chloride spray on the roads.

They will get them out, I will whine about at the wait just like some of you, but it will arrive.

The wrap will be impossible to remove without having to have repair work done to the original hood and the paint from most body shops will not be the same quality as the factory vendors work. I just talked to several "Mopar" body shops and got the consensus.

· Premium Member
13,620 Posts
None of those options.

I will have a real MYW code car in a month or so, can't drive it now with the salt and calcium chloride spray on the roads.

They will get them out, I will whine about at the wait just like some of you, but it will arrive.

The wrap will be impossible to remove without having to have repair work done to the original hood and the paint from most body shops will not be the same quality as the factory vendors work. I just talked to several "Mopar" body shops and got the consensus.
I would not have expected damage from the wrap! Thanks for sharing that. Hopefully members will read this so they know what they are getting into! ;)

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,925 Posts
None of those options.

I have seem quite a few wraps taken off no issues and re wrapped , you just need to have a quality installer and a good product that can give you a warranty.

· Yep, its got a HEMI
Challenger SRT Hellcat
4,768 Posts
I would not have expected damage from the wrap! Thanks for sharing that. Hopefully members will read this so they know what they are getting into! ;)
I was in charge of all of our fleet vehicles, we put the best vinyl on our trucks as we could buy, also had the best shop in town with the most experience do the work. Most of the vinyl comes off but it can leave a residue that is hard to remove, You may also damage the paint when picking parts of the vinyl off, yes we use a heat gun not a hairdryer. Sometimes it just does not come off in one piece. Lastly there could be some bubbles in the wrap that would stick out on the entire hood. Letters, graphics and stripes are easy to work out the bubbles but good luck on the wrap on an entire hood with 3 scoops and the hood is not a flat surface. Lets be honest its a tough job. Sides of vans and pick ups are pretty straight compared to the Hellcat hood. When you look at them up close with multiple colors and graphics you don't see the imperfections, with a blank flat/ semi gloss hood everything will be magnified.
just my 2 cents worth

· Premium Member
Challenger SRT Hellcat
1,925 Posts
Well with the painted hood off the table from Dodge, that leaves painting at the dealer or your favorite paint shop and wrapping, I'm still doing the wrap, won't be a solid satin but have some inlays of different things, should be trick if they can get to work.

· Premium Member
13,620 Posts
Well with the painted hood off the table from Dodge, that leaves painting at the dealer or your favorite paint shop and wrapping, I'm still doing the wrap, won't be a solid satin but have some inlays of different things, should be trick if they can get to work.
As a positive, it is probably easier to maintain!:)

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
218 Posts
I am having mine painted. Exactly like the third party that Dodge is trying to use. They have a third party and cant get them done. I have a third party and a factory build sheet that says I have a black hood. tahdah

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.