SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered all the material, tools and knifeless tape. Satin black to match hood. Shouldn’t be too bad, think I can handle it. Guess 3m products prices went up, $40 something a yard for 60” vinyl. Wrap place quoted me “ballpark” $250-275 for deck lid and $250-350 for roof. Hard pass on that. Got everything for around $160

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just some tips from doing mine so many times.

Do your prep. Wash car with wax stripper (Adams is good). Clay at your spots you are laying. Get a spray bottle of alcohol to wipe down before laying vinyl. Also can help wet your felt tipped squeege. For the trunk I removed my spoiler. For the roof I just tucked my vinyl behind the window seals on rear and front. On the side fronts there’s those rain strips or whatever they are, just tuck into the first crevice you’ll be good to go. Oh and take of antenna off. Use your knifless tape on those rain weather strips things on the first grove.

Also yes 3m is out of stock of lots of stuff so seems vinyls gone up. Vivid makes some decent enough vinyl. Air release isn’t as well done but it’s there.

for 3m start with squeegeeing the middle. One middle is done I always heat it to get any air trapped out and make sure it’s sealed. Once I had a problem with 3m vinyl on the hood I waited until I was done with the whole thing and heated it. There was some how a giant air bubble that would not release. I had to pull the whole middle up to get it out.
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Roof wrapped, turned out pretty good. Matches hood perfectly. Now I realize though it probably won’t stand out too much with a Phantom black pearl paint job lol. Wrapping antenna and frack lid tomorrow and then will take pics once she’s all cleaned up. Anyone have any suggestions or tips for cleaning vinyl? Also, the 3m stuff is SUPER thick and real high quality, glad I got it. Was too thick for the knifeless tape to cut though, used blade instead.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ya they make wrap spray you can put on its sort of like a McGuire interior cleaner type wax. Just search for chemical guys version. 3m is a great vinyl. Easy to wrap and great air release. Will last years.
Personally if I had a black car like yours I would do the satin still. I love that style and I think it’s really clean. It’s subtle and a sleek. Good luck on the trunk. Take off your spoiler and wrap the vinyl to the top of the rear lights and tuck under the plastic piece there.
I’ve seen some people only do up to the spoiler, even the factory T/a is like that. Still haven’t decided

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ya. I’ve done both ways now. It is way easier to use the knifless and stop the vinyl under half the spoiler rather then pulling the plastic back and tucking it. They both look good so can’t go wrong.
The knifeless tape wouldn’t work for me I had the 3m stuff too smh string just kept breaking, vinyl was too thick

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I use the3m finish line version. It’s kind of a pain in the ass to work with. You lay it dow the give your self like a foot extra on each side. Then start it. Then I mush down the green with my thumb so it’s really on the paint. Do the vinyl.Then when I’m ready I mush the vinyl on top of the part that needs cutting really well. Start the pull string which usually takes mea few minutes to get it split from the tape fully. Then once I get to the vinyl I hold the vinyl around the string and start the cut. From there I use two hands at a 45 degree angle to pull string at a steady pace just hard enough to cut the vinyl with it. Usually I found that works best for that crap.
Thanks for the tips! Just got back from getting a satin black shark fin antenna, those things are a pain to wrap

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I got 2 bottles of the chemical guys meticulous matte all in one cleaner and sealer with uv protection quick detailer online, comes in tomorrow. Once I get some of the finger prints off and clean the car up I’ll take pics

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I’m $200 in for all of the tools, the vinyl, and the new shark fin antenna. They wanted $250-275 just for trunk, and $350 for roof. Came out way ahead and now have some experience and all the stuff to do it again if I want/need to

1 - 18 of 18 Posts