SRT Hellcat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lol sooo.. i tried to add an additive to my gas tank.. it pissed it right out of the bottom of my gas tank as im pouring it in as if i had a hole in it .. NEVER seen that happen.. my gas tank was only at 3/4.. what did do?

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
374 Posts
You need to use the funnel found in the trunk and apply downward pressure to funnel while pouring. Same for almost all cap less fuel tanks now

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
9,532 Posts
You need to use the funnel found in the trunk and apply downward pressure to funnel while pouring. Same for almost all cap less fuel tanks now
Are you sure op has a Charger? Challengers have no funnel or capless tank fillers.

·
Registered
Challenger SRT 392
6,988 Posts
Guess it can only be a Charger doing this.

And now might be a good time to rethink that additive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SRTCVO

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
lol sooo.. i tried to add an additive to my gas tank.. it pissed it right out of the bottom of my gas tank as im pouring it in as if i had a hole in it .. NEVER seen that happen.. my gas tank was only at 3/4.. what did do?
Additive?? Unless you ABSOLUTELY need it don’t use it, NOT worth the valve deposits it leaves!! Look at these exhaust valves in particular, they where filled in like a flat top valve.
37DEEC31-88AC-4AD2-A613-828FF04D2F04.jpeg
E717CCCF-9A4A-4400-8E07-0AD37BC13339.jpeg

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the additive is a catalytic cleaner, not that it matter what it is..but used it before on my other chargers and got rid of the nasty smells when car starts and car ran better ...Im confused about this...

·
Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
314 Posts
haha I did the same thing once when I first got my charger. I was thinking WTF! I learned about the funnel.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,403 Posts
Assuming you just didn't miss the hole there is a flap to help prevent fuel spill in the event of a rollover accident. When one adds gasoline the fuel pump nozzle forces this flap open.

If you just pour a liquid into the fuel tank filler tube the flap remains closed and the fluid will back up and overflow and run out the filler tube.

A work around is to next time add the additive before you add gasoline and use a funnel with a small diameter and long enough neck to reach down and open the flap.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Assuming you just didn't miss the hole there is a flap to help prevent fuel spill in the event of a rollover accident. When one adds gasoline the fuel pump nozzle forces this flap open.

If you just pour a liquid into the fuel tank filler tube the flap remains closed and the fluid will back up and overflow and run out the filler tube.

A work around is to next time add the additive before you add gasoline and use a funnel with a small diameter and long enough neck to reach down and open the flap.
THIS has got to be it!, so likely needs to be jammed in more then ..and also like you said..., to do it before filling up..which is what I did first time..this time my tankl was at 3/4...never seen a$20 dollars get pissed away so quick lol

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
2,403 Posts
THIS has got to be it!, so likely needs to be jammed in more then ..and also like you said..., to do it before filling up..which is what I did first time..this time my tankl was at 3/4...never seen a$20 dollars get pissed away so quick lol
If you google gasoline funnels you will see invariably they have a longer necked portion this to extend far enough the fuel filler tube to open that flap.

OTOH oil funnels can have a short fatter necked portion. Just long enough to ensure the oil gets into the engine and large because the oil fill tube or opening in the valve cover is pretty big. This lets the more viscous oil flow readily through the funnel into the engine.

Last but not least I seldom use any gasoline additive but when I do I prefer to add it to the gasoline tank before filling the tank. The filling stirs up the tank contents and mixes the additive well with the gasoline. Yes, this is being a bit OCD as when the ignition is turned on the in tank fuel pump runs and part of its output is directed back at the pump housing which ensures the pump run cools but also stirs up the gasoline in the tank.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts