SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright alright I know I’m going to catch flick for this but I can’t get past my oil level. I did the first oil change at 500 miles. Drained the cooler and pan. I let both drip for awhile. Filled it back up with the recommended 7 quarts. It showed half a quart low after I started it and then shut it off and let it sit to let the oil drain back. So I added a half quart which brought the oil level to the top of the hash. Well I got nervous about filling it to much because when the engine was warm it showed over filled. So I drained exactly a half quart back out. Now I haven’t drive the car in two weeks. So all the oil has had a chance to drain back. And it shows half quart low. So on my car the recommended 7 quarts shows a half quart low on the stick. Here is a picture of the oil level and the dip stick part number. Again sorry for the oil post but this is driving me nuts.

Sleeve Tints and shades Linens Triangle Pattern
Sleeve Orange Sportswear Rectangle Tints and shades
Sleeve Tints and shades Linens Triangle Pattern

· Registered
Challenger SRT 392
9,314 Posts
Alright alright I know I’m going to catch flick for this but I can’t get past my oil level. I did the first oil change at 500 miles. Drained the cooler and pan. I let both drip for awhile. Filled it back up with the recommended 7 quarts. It showed half a quart low after I started it and then shut it off and let it sit to let the oil drain back. So I added a half quart which brought the oil level to the top of the hash. Well I got nervous about filling it to much because when the engine was warm it showed over filled. So I drained exactly a half quart back out. Now I haven’t drive the car in two weeks. So all the oil has had a chance to drain back. And it shows half quart low. So on my car the recommended 7 quarts shows a half quart low on the stick. Here is a picture of the oil level and the dip stick part number. Again sorry for the oil post but this is driving me nuts.

View attachment 604660 View attachment 604661 View attachment 604660
Believe the manual says to check the oil at full operating temperature after the engine has been shut off for 5 minutes so try that. But you're in the cross hatch so you're in the safe range anyway.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,743 Posts
Check on dip stick problems, seems they used some wrong length sticks but I believe it was 2016 2017.
They never used wrong length sticks. They recommended six qts for the first two or three my’s. Then they changed that to seven and told current owners to go to seven if they wanted but it wasnt required. The seven qt sticks were then sold to replace the sixes and all subsequent models got the seven from the factory. The six qt sticks were not sold after that.

Reactions: Reaperhwk

· HOTM Winner
2020 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Wide Body
12,743 Posts

Reactions: Mattm400

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
333 Posts
What slowpoke said. I bought a '16 in '16. I do my own oil changes. The first time, I think I put six quarts. There were tons of threads talking about 6 vs 7. I think maybe in 2017 they went to 7 qts. I bought the shorter 7 qt cable type in the picture above, and put the original 6 qt dipstick in the trunk. Never looked back. I pre-fill my filter, put 7 quarts total, and call it a day.

· Registered
2015 Charger SRT Hellcat
4,082 Posts
They never used wrong length sticks. They recommended six qts for the first two or three my’s. Then they changed that to seven and told current owners to go to seven if they wanted but it wasnt required. The seven qt sticks were then sold to replace the sixes and all subsequent models got the seven from the factory. The six qt sticks were not sold after that.
BINGO!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts