SRT Hellcat Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite HOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Banned
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,421 Posts
So sad, dealers are professional preaditors, and this is what happenes when they find a lamb. I am so sad. I guess the choice it to give $22k to the dealer, or $22k to the atty, in this case I’d opt for the atty.

Maybe buy this and part it out:

or:

· Super Moderator
Charger SRT Hellcat
8,638 Posts
Do you have a list of the modifications?
Was the Tune for 93?
Were there supporting parts added fuel injectors or Thermostat?

Linda

· Registered
66 Posts
Dealer won’t warranty powertrain modifcation( changing the mapping on the ecu, cranking up boost, yea FCA ain’t gonna cover it). Also Epa would go after them just like they did with Harley and Ducati a few months ago. Basically you bought a used car which is still under factory warranty( if your radio goes out it will be covered under warranty) but your powertrain warranty was voided that day the ecu was tuned and the mapping was modified and on top of that you bypassing emissions standard.FCA will not cover it, a lawyer won’t help either. Since it is a used car, it is sold as best to their knowledge. You out of luck but you should known better. Not the news you wanna hear but nothing is free and if you wanna play you gotta pay, thats the life of modifying a vehicle.

· Registered
3,715 Posts
What octane fuel you use? S as you octane booster in use? Ever? Sounds like you melted a piston pretty severely if there’s zero compression in a cylinder, what cylinder was it?
You may get by just replacing the one piston. I suggest checking them all while it’s apart and open up the top ring gap. I have single used like new piston and rod assemblies if you need one or more. I think this one is going to be on you. How handy are you? What you geographical location? I know a shop in the NJ area that just did this successfully for a guy for 5k labor plus parts.

· Registered
1,609 Posts
In those cases the claim never goes to the factory. The dealer "assumes" the factory warranty. The thinking is it won't 1) Ever have to deal with a claim; 2) Can find a (any) reason to deny the claim.

The dealer may be able to tell you off the cuff if something is covered but the factory still holds the warranty and absolutely has the say about whether something is covered. I've had warranty repairs on my Ram made where the dealer had to call in for approval and others where FCA sent a tech to the dealership before they would authorize the repairs.

The other thing I noticed is the OP said "a local dealer" did the mods. A local independent car dealer or CDJR dealer? I can't imagine a CDJR dealer doing these mods.

I would never buy a used Hellcat but hypothetically if I did I would make a CDJR dealer give me a printout from the car showing there was no P1400 code. This car had to have had the P1400 code, voiding the powertrain warranty when the OP bought it.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,819 Posts
What octane fuel you use? S as you octane booster in use? Ever? Sounds like you melted a piston pretty severely if there’s zero compression in a cylinder, what cylinder was it?
You may get by just replacing the one piston. I suggest checking them all while it’s apart and open up the top ring gap. I have single used like new piston and rod assemblies if you need one or more. I think this one is going to be on you. How handy are you? What you geographical location? I know a shop in the NJ area that just did this successfully for a guy for 5k labor plus parts.
He's up here in Canada where everything is twice the money.

R.K.

· Banned
.2020 HCNBM6. ...2022 RENB...
3,421 Posts
I think the guys are right, FCA probably won't get involved.

Sounds like the dealer sold something he didn't have to sell (warranty), shame on him.

You believed the used car salesman when he sold you something you should have known did not apply (warranty on a modded car), shame on you.

I am not an atty but I play one on line! You still may have recourse. If your sales contract was for a car+warranty but you only received the car, he then failed to meet the terms, you can take action. You would not have purchased the car without the warranty so you can sue him for the full purchase price plus taxes, title, etc. You will need an atty. Maybe add punitive damages. May take couple years and maybe $10k or more, and you will need solid documentation. No guarantees on outcome, but no jury or judge likes used car salesmen.

You may get help from your state if you claim they defrauded you by selling a warranty then not delivering on it. Free and easy, start making calls.

Did you lease/finance with the dealer? Some states may allow you to stop payments, but only do so if you can confirm you are entitled to do so.

Be careful what you say, if you admit you knew the car was modded and FCA would not cover it, no one will be able to help you.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
What exactly does the transferred warranty document say?

Can't say I've ever seen one. Unless the previous owner got the warranty voided by mods or maintenance, you can assume a car has the remaining warranty.

And who brought up the warranty question, him or you?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I had the secretary at the dealership search my warranty and she printed off a copy which states full powertrain until 2023. When buying a vehicle with modifications that void warranty you would think they would have to disclose that at point of sale

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,222 Posts
I had the secretary at the dealership search my warranty and she printed off a copy which states full powertrain until 2023. When buying a vehicle with modifications that void warranty you would think they would have to disclose that at point of sale
From what I have I think gathered you were sold a car with mods which weren't disclosed to you but which voided the warranty but you were not told of this.

At this stage I think you should consult with an attorney. This is not a recommendation to "lawyer up" but simply to discuss the situation with the attorney and have him offer suggestions on what you can do what leverage you can bring to get the car repaired and under warranty.

Even if you have to spend some money for the attorney's time it is money well spent.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat
3,819 Posts
From what I have I think gathered you were sold a car with mods which weren't disclosed to you but which voided the warranty but you were not told of this.

At this stage I think you should consult with an attorney. This is not a recommendation to "lawyer up" but simply to discuss the situation with the attorney and have him offer suggestions on what you can do what leverage you can bring to get the car repaired and under warranty.

Even if you have to spend some money for the attorney's time it is money well spent.
I believe there is more to this story than the OP is telling us. Reason why I asked the OP where he bought it was there was a Black TH that was modified by a crappy shop in town that had the check engine light on. It was being sold by a dealer here. If that's the one, then the OP knew it was modified. A local FCA dealer will not send out a TH to get modified just to sell it.

R.K.

· Registered
Challenger SRT Hellcat Widebody
1,375 Posts
I believe there is more to this story than the OP is telling us. Reason why I asked the OP where he bought it was there was a Black TH that was modified by a crappy shop in town that had the check engine light on. It was being sold by a dealer here. If that's the one, then the OP knew it was modified. A local FCA dealer will not send out a TH to get modified just to sell it.

R.K.
There is the truth, and the truth you are willing to acknowledge. Impetuousness comes with a strong dose of reality.

· Registered
Charger SRT Hellcat
171 Posts
Regardless of the story, I see used Hellcat engines go for sale on Ebay for $10K - $15k depending on the mileage and year of the donor car. As a plan B I would start looking there while you attempt to work something out with the dealership.

Also for what it's worth I see the plan B described above becoming you're new plan A. I hope I'm wrong and wish you well.

Reactions: MJS73

· Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys, I bought a trackhawk from a local dealer with 15,000kms on it that they had installed some mods on. Upgraded pulley, cold air and a diablo computer with tune. At time of purchase the sales manager transferred full powertrain warranty until 2023.
Long story short I was doing some pulls from 80km/hr to 200 and then decelerating manually, I stopped at a stop sign and smoke started pouring out heavily filling my cab. I parked it and had it towed to the dealer to looking into and they found one cylinder with no compression and a melted plug.
Of course they are now trying to get out of warranty due to the upgrades, that the dealer installed, and they never once said my warranty was void. I know I should of known better, but what are my options? They haven't dug into it much and are blaming it on bad fuel and claim I need a new engine at $22,000..... Is the engine blown? I heard you cant get a short block for the 6.2.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Was it a legitimate Dodge dealer who sell you tuned car?? All tunes with pulleys upgrade or ecm tune, are automatically out of warranty

· Registered
2018 Hellcat Challenger A8
138 Posts
This story is very flimsy and I agree with those who think there is more to this than meets the eye. All that aside though. Why not just own the consequences and get the motor re-built by a reputable performance shop. Would probably be cheaper, less time consuming, and less headaches in the long run.

· Registered
2020 Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack.
3,222 Posts
From the first posts I got the impression that he knew the mods were done. But I agree there is more to this story and the rest of the story probably isn't going to be told.
The first post does suggest he knew about the mods "should have known better".

Still my take away is he was led to believe there was still a warranty on the car. Now it may have been restricted to exclude the engine due to the mods but AFAIK, based on posts by the OP, this was not conveyed to him.

But I have to agree the posts do give one reason to believe there is more to the story than is being told.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.